We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird watching

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bird watching

We drove to the thermal spa baths at St Thomas-les Bains on 3 Jan 2013. Driving through Olette we saw large birds circling overhead and also noted birds on the village signs but have to confess complete ignorance as to their identification and internet has failed to come up with the answer. Anyone know what they were?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird watching

Crows? buzzards? Olette isn't known for bird watching.

The birds on the village signs are storks. They are part of a marketing campaign initiated a few years ago the purpose of which was to incite people to stop at the village. "Pausez-vous à Olette", "Becquetez à Olette" etc... They are play on words : "becqueter" = eat in slang = eat with your beak (bird). "Pauser" = take a break and "se poser" for a bird/a plane - to land, to stop.

Storks are regularly spotted in the Pyrenees Orientales in season.

Edited: 12:28 am, January 05, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird watching

Thank you for the information. I should have been more specific about the birds. There were about 8 or 9 circling above the road. They were large, light coloured with a long thin neck. They did not look like a crane or stork whose long legs dangle behind them. I saw a stork last year and they are really big birds. These were only viewed for a short time as we drove by but they were not as large as a stork. We regret not stopping for a longer look.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird watching

My guess would be egrets - cattle or little egrets or maybe great egrets

cattle egrets and little egrets often flock about together

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird watching

Can't think of any migratory bird in this season.

Seagulls maybe? they fly quite far inland and the Vinça Dam isn't far from Olette.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird watching

Thanks for answer. I have ruled out little egrets as they are too small but great egrets may be correct.

Whatever they were, it made my day seeing them. I will return in the hope of seeing more.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird watching

How nice to have such a different and interesting question.

Could they have been eagles? It seems there are two kinds of eagle in the area although eagles don't tend to fly in groups.

This website is in French and is a little unwieldy but it shows lots of pictures of birds in the Eastern Pyrenees with names in French, so may help you to identify the ones you saw.

…pagesperso-orange.fr/oiseauxpo.htm

Best of luck, and do let us know when you find out what they are. A good reason for returning to the area.

7. Re: Bird watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, March 18, 2014