We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Burnaby
Level Contributor
54 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Hi, we are planning to spend a night in A Coruna province prior to heading through Portugal to Southern Spain. Flight routing will see us land in Santiago. I would like to hear if what I have in mind makes sense or if we should simply stay in Santiago and view the sights on its own.

I am considering picking up the rental car at the airport, heading to Lugo to see the roman walls and then heading over to A Coruna for the night to see the light house and town. The next am driving to Santiago and spending the full day there prior to driving in the evening to Porto.

Any insight would be welcome. We'll be in Porto for 5 nights so getting in late is really not a problem.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,131 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

maltyone:

I would just stay in Santiago de Compostela and do day trips to Lugo and La Coruña.

Rent a car with a GPS to make it easy to reach cities.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Before I can give you some suggestions I would like to know a bit more information.

You say you are spending a nigh in the Province of A Coruña.and then asking if it is worth travelling to Lugo, A Courña and head back to Santiago de Compostela, or are you heading to Oporto?

What time of year is this trip?

Where is the flight to SdC flying from?

What time is your flight landing in Galicia? Is this a flight connecting from the flight from Canada?

Are you hiring a car to do your trip to southern Spain?

Sorry for a lot of questions but You will see there is a good reason for this.

Burnaby
Level Contributor
54 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Thanks for your note, the plan is to take a direct flight in late july from Paris to Santiago, arriving in the late morning. we would have one night either based in Santiago or A Coruna. My plan is to get the car in Spain at the airport and return it in Malaga, Spain after several weeks of sightseeing. Are we better served to stay in and focus on Santiago, or does it make sense to go from the airport to see Lugo, then stay in A Cornuna for the night. The next am leaving A coruna and spending the entire day in Santiago prior to heading to portugal. Does it make sense to spread out our limited time to see 3 cities versus 1?

Again, my thanks for your any suggestions you provide

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Thanks for coming back.

I do not think you can fly direct from Paris to Santiago. If the route is via another Spanish city may be you could change you plans a bit.

I would concentrate you stay in Galicia in Santiago. Moving every day means packing and unpacking plus checking and out. All take up sight seeing time.

One can take the train to A Courña with a trip of 30 mins.

There are buses running at regular hours to an from Lugo. But taking the car will be less time.

There are only to car pick up point (for national car hire companies) in Santiago. One at the railway station, the other at the airport.

When driving a Spanish registered car in Portugal you must ensure you know how to pay the tolls that are collected electorally . There will be more information on the Portuguese section of TA. It is not easy to make a payment but it is better than a fine if you have not paid.

The toll road between Santiago and Vigo is the most expensive per km in Spain. It is hardly used because of this. Do not hire a car with a GPS use your own as you will know how it works. Leaning to use a new GPS is no fun. Just ensure you have the latest maps. Again not all hire cars will have the most up to date maps.

Burnaby
Level Contributor
54 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Thanks for your suggestions

Vueling has a direct Friday flight which should work perfectly between Paris and Santiago

I did notice there were toll roads everywhere and will have to see how to deal with these both in Portugal and Spain. Autoeurope seems to favour hertz out of the Santiago airport itself

I will be bringing a GPS anyhow. Is there an alternate route like the N550? You would suggest ?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

RE flights. I fist off looked at the airports website which gave me no information on flights to Paris. Now you have written about Vueling I looked at their website. The flight is not direct there is a stop in Barcelona. Some flights do not start in Charles de Gaulle but in Orly. The timetable seems to suggest you have an overnight stop too.

You can take the N road. It is going to be much slower. maybe the journey time doubles. But then hit a queue of cars behind a slow lorry or to it will take much longer.

At present the news in the local paper says the N550 is in a bad state. For instance the trip between A Courña and Santiago is a choice between 12.60€ and 422 potholes.

lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/galicia/2014/01/12…

Here is are the charges (for cars) to use the AP9 …farodevigo.es/canales/graficos/1012/nuevas-…

Personally I would be more concerned about how to pay the tolls in Portugal.

PS I have to make a correction The AP9 is the second dearest autopista in Spain not the dearest.

Burnaby
Level Contributor
54 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Thanks again for your advice, it is very much appreciated

Flight wise both Iberia and Vueling have direct flights weekly Fridays in July. Otherwise it requires an overnight in Barcelona which would be less than ideal. They spec Charles de Gaulle but orly would be just as easy as I've used both in the past. The toll thing you mention is unfortunate. It seems the Spanish system is more user friendly as you can pay either electronically or through a manned booth. I am hoping to register my plate number online with the Portugals easy toll system having the vehicle plate connected with my credit card. It sounds like it will work. The concern I have is that on TA. It seems there are several kinds of tolls within Portugal potentially which confuses matters and can result in fines. I will ask hertz/auto Europe to clarify things but if you have suggestions that would, be appreciated. Many reviews indicate a major problem with the toll system. I am hoping things have improved but that may not be the case. I have no problem with tolls, Italy an France have them everywhere, but I do have an issue if you can't pay them and are subsequently fined afterwards...

Thanks again for your valuable insight

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

Vueling is part of Iberia/BA these days. I just hope there quality of service does not suffer likewise.

I think registering beforehand is the best way to go. I and several friends have tried to pay the tolls as we arrive on the first part of the electronic tolls. It is not impossible but quite confusing. Th system is great if you have a Portuguese car. There is a small tag type thing stuck to the windscreen and this transmits to the receivers above which in turn take a photo of your car's registration This is then automatically scanned and your bank account is debited some money. It allows for fast flow of traffic and does away with the need of a person sitting in a booth with all of the added coast of handling money heating/ac the cabin etc etc.

But it does fall down when it comes to non Portuguese cars.

There is other systems similar to this like the London Congestion charge or the the highway vignettes in Austria. I have never used these but it does seem the method of payment is easier. Plus there is only one charge where as in Portugal one does not know which sections of highway are tolled in which method until you are on them.

I hope that Hertz can provide you with some information, it is sounds as if you have got it all.

If you have a GPS can I ask which one is it? As I have a link which for some units you can download and add the POIs for the portagem (electronic toll) locations

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

I found it: Flights between Paris and SdC only run between 22nd March and the 26th October. I was not searching far enough into the year. My apologise.

Burnaby
Level Contributor
54 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two day, one night option in A Coruna Province

No worries and thanks for your continued help.

The Portugal toll people emailed me back advising that you can pick up something to use and fill with a credit card at the border crossings. Will still check with hertz. I have a garmin with a renewal subscription. Will revise the upload prior to departure.

I have booked in Santiago for now as there is likely enough for us to do in tone without driving around based on your suggestion. May not venture out to a coruna or lugo as a result but would appreciate your thoughts