We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpackers hostel in maroubra?

ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
backpackers hostel in maroubra?

is there a backpackers hostel here? if not is coogee within walking distance or is there public transport to coogee?many thanks for responding

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: backpackers hostel in maroubra?

I don't know of any backpackers hotels in Maroubra or Maroubra Beach at all.

The only place near the beach that I know of is http://www.sandshotel.com.au/index.html - please note I said near, not at.

Technically you can walk between Maroubra and Coogee beaches but it's not something I would be keen on doing daily. It's an incredibly hilly area unless you still to the coastal path, which is at the mercy of tides in some stretches.

Bus number 353 will take you to Coogee Beach in approx 10 mins. It's a suburban service (whose final stop is Bondi Junction) so it tends to meander around the streets.

Buses 376 and 377 will take you from Maroubra Beach to the corner of Oberon & Arden Sts. This must be at least 1/2km away from the beach, so you would need to walk. These bus services head to the city.

Further bus info can be found on 131500.com.au.

If you need to be near Coogee Beach, I would recommend you either stay there or near Randwick Junction for the better transport options it offers.

ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backpackers hostel in maroubra?

thanks very much for your post. think i will be workingin the maroubra area and looking at options where to live, will take a look at randwick & coogee area. i will take a look at the bus services too

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: backpackers hostel in maroubra?

If you factor in Maroubra Junction, Maroubra, South Maroubra as well as the Southern, middle and Northern ends of the beach, the area is large and not within comfortable walking distance from one end to another.

Just take care to research exactly where work and home will be and ensure you have sufficient transport options.

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: backpackers hostel in maroubra?

Here is the link for the bus timetable:

sydneybuses.info/routes/timetables-route-maps

If you were keen to stay in a backpackers, then Coogee would definitely be the place to stay. A good scene for lots of young people, many restaurants, couple of good pubs, etc.

Maroubra is quite "quiet" in comparison.

ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: backpackers hostel in maroubra?

thanks. the public transport in sydney seems quite good! plan to stay in backpackers place for short while until find somewhere to live, think i have job in malabar so was looking to stay somewhere not too far away. thanks for you replies!

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: backpackers hostel in maroubra?

Gee anyone with a moderate amount of energy could walk from Coogee to Maroubra in 30 min or so, along Arden st and Malabar rd, then Maroubra rd. apart from a bit of a minor hill coming out of Coogee, it's very mildly undulating to Maroubra. South Maroubra is a little further on, but if you walk along the beach and thru the park, it's a pretty pleasant walk!

Reply to: backpackers hostel in maroubra?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maroubra