We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the right calahonda??!!

uk
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
the right calahonda??!!

hopefully now I am posting on the correct forum.

I guess I should ask if Sitio de Calahonda is the same as Mijas Calahonda?

I am not completely dense(!) but will not get the full address of my privately rented apartment until the balance is paid at the end of this month.

I will not firm up my transfer arrangements until I get the address, but still considering my options.

I have an early flight from Stansted, so can transfer from Malaga leisurely.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,464 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the right calahonda??!!

Hi

Welcome to the Sitio de Calahonda forum! Unfortunately a lot websites put Calahonda as being part of Mijas and there is also a Calahonda up near Motril on the Costa Tropical past Nerja and people often post on that forum for this one.

The area is not as picturesque as some of the other coastal towns but it is easy to get to other places. There are lots of bars and restaurants along both sides of the motorway and we have tried several over the years. At El Zocco, a short walk from Calypso, there is a selection of restaurants from Spanish to Chinese and everything in between including a British style pub. We love to eat at La Mandaragora when we go there. Its cuisine in a cross between eastern/western European and is so beautiful to look at we actually have to take photos of it!! Its not the cheapest in the area but for us it is the best.

You should take a trip to Puerto Cabopino, it has some great restaurants and bars and a wonderful beach (Calahonda beach is not the best in the area). If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

uk
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the right calahonda??!!

thanks both of you, I had a weekend in Elvira a few years ago, but I am not familiar with Calahonda.

To be honest I wanted a nice apartment in a tourist area near the sea so that I could watch Euro 2012 with a bit of atmosphere. I found the apartment I wanted and Calahonda sounds like it will have all I need for my holiday.

I will post on this site if I have any further questions, but at least I now know why some of the taxi quotes I requested were so variable!!

co wicklow
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the right calahonda??!!

Hello ceejayblue Ijust seen your post when I was searching for some tips on a shuttle transfer from malaga airport to calahonda. resorthoppa and a lot of others that I have viewed are coming up very expnsive, even dearer than a taxi. Have you any advice on a reasonable transfer, or would it be better to use public transport ? It is just for one person, [the rest of the party will have already been there for a week, and it just my daughter joining us we going at the end of sept..

Would welcome any info, we are staying at the Dona Lola Resort.

Thank you

Anndavena

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,464 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the right calahonda??!!

What bit of Calahonda are you staying at? If you are up in the hills that is probably why the costs are higher.

If your daughter wanted to use public transport the best thing I can recommend is the train from the airport to Fuengirola, then walk 5 mins to the Fuengirola bus station (buy a ticket at the booth before queuing) and catch the bus towards Marbella (M220). If she gets off at the Las Postas stop near El Zocco shoppiing area you could pick her up from there or she could pick a taxi up to go up the hill. The cost is a lot less than a taxi all the way from the airport. I think the train is around €2.5 and the bus around €1.50 and its not too bad a trip - we've done it when doing a trip to Malaga from Calahonda.

co wicklow
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: the right calahonda??!!

Hello Ceejayblue

Thank you for advice, We are staying at the Dona Lola Resort. Think the train, and the bus seem to be the best option. We can meet her off the bus, Looking forward to our visit, and hoping we will have good weather. Is there any Water Park nearby that would still be open when we there ? we will be arriving on the 25 Sept. Any other tips on places to visit would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kind regards

Anndavena

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,464 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the right calahonda??!!

We've stayed at Dona Lola twice and love it. The nearest water park would be Fuengirola but not sure if its open when you're there.

Right, now I had suggested getting off the bus at Las Postas but as you are at Dona Lola, the best stop to get off at is Calypso which is just after the CEPSA petrol station, then walk up the ramp and over the road bridge and down the other side and Dona Lola is just up on the left. You will pass some lovely restaurants on that side of the road Meson Dona Lola is our favourite although our favourite restaurant ever is La Mandaragora across the road in El Zocco.

You can go along the coast towards Marbella and stop off at Puerto Cabopino and see the marina and beautiful beach. In the other direction is La Cala, which has a market on a Wednesday and Saturday which is very good. A day in Malaga City is a must - bus to Fuengirola and then the train will only cost you around €5 each return!

You could also take a trip to Fuengirola and get the ferry from the port over to Benalmadena and back. Also the Biopark is brilliant and during September everyone pays children's prices!

Don't forget Mijas - bus to Fuengirola, then bus up to the village - flamenco in the main square at midday on Wednesdays. If you let me know what else you like to do I could suggest a few things.

If money is no object, a day out at around €75 per person (great lunch included) with Monte Aventura is amazing. They do various jeep safaris into the mountains have a look on their website www.monteaventura.com. Its not cheap but you see bits of the mountains and inland white village that you wouldn't see otherwise. Dona Lola used to have them come and speak at the welcome meetings on a Sunday but for best reasons known to the management at the head office they stopped using them. The Dona Lola staff all put a protest in saying that all everyone raved about them but unfortunately they weren't reinstated. However, if you contact them they will sort you out if you are interested. Antonio is the best, most passionate guide you could wish for and so knowledgable. (As others know on here, I'm their biggest fan!!!)

CJB

co wicklow
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: the right calahonda??!!

Hello Ceejayblue

Thank you for all that information. While checking Ryan Aer site re our bookings, came across an ad for malagashuttlebus.com re service every hourfrom airport to hotels in different ares. , When checked it out on site it only drops you off at hotels, the one they drop off in Calahonda is Hotel Vime Campario De Calahonda,and as it only costs 15 euro that would be ideal, that is if that hotel is any where near Dona Lola, need your advice about that please.

We will check out that site you recommended, sounds great. my son, 25. and grandson 19 who will be with me love go karting, crazy golf, and last year in Portugal had a few attempts at the water skiing, so any info on any of those activities would be welcomed.

Thank you,

Kind regards

Anndavena

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,464 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the right calahonda??!!

resorthoppa.com/destinations/…

malagaairporttaxi.net/page/Taxi_Calahonda_Ma…

The above are a couple of other transfer companies, although €15 sounds very cheap. However the place that your company drop off at is quite a way up in the hill from Dona Lola. I think the train to Fuengirola and then bus to Calahonda is still probably the cheapest way. Unless you have access to a car and could go and pick her up at the airport.

co wicklow
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: the right calahonda??!!

Hello Ceejayblue

Thanks for all your help. Emailed the transfer company and they do a dropoff at Dona Lola, so have booked it, Cant wait to go now, Really looking forward to it. Will post a review when back.

Kind regards

Anndavena

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,464 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the right calahonda??!!

Glad to have helped, hope you have a great holiday.

Get answers to your questions about Sitio de Calahonda