We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit Yoho NP for hiking & camping?

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit Yoho NP for hiking & camping?

I'd like to plan a trip to Yoho NP sometime in the months of June - October 2014 with a couple of friends for hiking and camping. I am not a camping and hiking veteran as I'm from Winnipeg, MB, and opportunities are scarce here. We're up for most challenges, younger, and want to see/do it all (within reason for our beginner hiking abilities).

Would be driving in, after visiting Jasper and other areas. Wanting to spend a couple of days in Yoho (or possibly more. What would be the recommended stay time for camping and hiking, and being able to see and do a substantial amount?). Ideally would like to book a facilitated campsite with drive in availability, and be able to go out early morning to hike/sight see, and return in the evening. Where would the ideal campsite be for this, if such a campsite is within Yoho?

And, should these options be available, when would be the best time of year? Ideally I'd like to aim for late June - early July. This is also a budget trip, not planning on spending a lot of money, but being able to get out of the flatlands and into the mountains. Wanting to plan early as I know summer is likely to be steady with tourists such as myself.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,240 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit Yoho NP for hiking & camping?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Late June/early July would be the earliest I would recommend you do such a trip, because some of the higher trails won't be accessible much before then. The window for subalpine and alpine hiking (higher elevations) also closes around the end of September, since snow starts falling at higher elevations by then. Although it often melts, the days are not usually warm enough to dry out the trail and it refreezes overnight, getting icy and slick in places. So, optimally, early July through mid-September would be the best times.

There are also tons of great hikes available in Jasper National Park (and Banff, too). Check in the Canadian Rockies forum (which should include Yoho, but only includes the Alberta parks) because there aer some current threads running there about hiking.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "facilitated" campsite, but each national park's website has a camping information page, with a list of all the front-country (car accessible) campgrounds in each park, their locations, amenities etc. www.pc.gc.ca/yoho

Edited: 12:40 am, January 05, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
2. Re: Best time of year to visit Yoho NP for hiking & camping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, March 17, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Yoho National Park