We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

My husband and I are very interested in doing a 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP - preferably around Lake O'Hara. I recall having read something about a trail called Lake O'Hara Circuit, and somewhere I've seen pics from a blog, where a guy did a 4-day trip and stayed at some sort of huts or cabins at night. Can anyone help me with this? I already know about the daytrip to Lake O'Hara, where you need to book a bus seat 3 months in advance, but I can't seem to find any info on overnight hiking trails - just on some of the huts.

Thanks in advance!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

To find trails go to:

www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp…

There are three other possibilities to get to Lake O'Hara:

Walk the bus route (11km)

The Field Visitor Centre holds 4-6 seats on the bus for the following day. You have to be there very early to get lucky.

Go to the bus stop very early and hope for some cancellations from ticket holders.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,724 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

There is Lake O'Hara Lodge, a luxury lodge where you basically have to inherit a reservation ;-) (actually, you need to book more than one year ahead ... it would be a good idea to enquire now for summer 2014) and there is an Alpine Club of Canada hut there. The ACC hut is in such demand that they hold a lottery among their members, in December/January for bookings there.

There is also a Parks Canada campground, where you can book a maximum of three nights - you book this via the same phone number as the bus.

Most of the hiking at L O'H is day hikes, including the Alpine Circuit. I recently read something about someone on a backpacking trip coming out at Lake O'Hara, so I am pretty sure there is trail access via some other area. but whether it is a convenient four day trip, I don't know. Off to check the "bible"... Patton & Robinson's "The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide" ...

...where I see there are listings for two trails: 1/ McArthur Creek - "Lake O'Hara to Ottertail River" and 2/ Ottertail River - TransCanada highway to McArthur Creek Campground". The guidebook notes that this second one is fireroad hiking.

I would suggest having a look at the online topo maps of the area, which you can find at …nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/toporama/index.html - if you put "Lake O'Hara" into the search box, it will take you to that area; and I would also suggest contacting the trail office staff at Yoho National Park (there is contact info on the Parks Canada YNP website), for more information. (I have an older edition of the guidebook.)

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

Wallie R: Thanks for the info provided - appreciate it!

I have already typed "Lake O'Hara Circuit" on that website, but nothing shows?

krp329: Thanks so much for the insight on the issues in question - it is very helpful! Then I guess there are no other option than to try and get a spot at the campground. Or perhaps just to get seats on the bus for 2 consecutive days. Do you know if they allow that? We don't have any camping gear that is.

Does the bus take off from Field Visitor Centre?

I have two suggestions for two day-hikes that I would like comments on:

The Relais Day Shelter --> Wiwaxy Gap --> via Huber Ledges to Lake Oesa --> via Yukness Ledge to Opabin Lake --> straight back to Relais Day Shelter. How long is this route? And is it doable in a day, if we would also like to rest and take in the magnificent scenery for a while at the lakes?

The Relais Day Shelter --> hike towards Opabin Lake but crossing over to All Souls' Alpine Route --> Schaffer Lake --> ACC Hut --> Relais Day Shelter. How long is this, and is it also doable in a day?

Alternatively, we could also go from Schaffer Lake to Mary Lake and then back to the Relais Day Shelter.

If we only get to book seats on the bus for one day, which route would you prefer and why? I believe the route: The Relais Day Shelter --> Wiwaxy Gap --> via Huber Ledges to Lake Oesa --> via Yukness Ledge to Opabin Lake --> All Souls Traverse --> Schaffer Lake --> Lake McArthur --> ACC Hut --> Relais Day Shelter is way too long?

Also, if we want to go there on July 14, do we then have to book April 14, or do the office open prior to that date and then take bookings for the entire summer? DON'T WANT TO MISS OUT :-D

More suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Vancouver
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

Are you set on Yoho National Park?

If not, have a look at the Berg Lake Trail in Mount Robson Provincial Park.

The Berg Lake Trail is probably THE most iconic hike in the Canadian Rockies. It's an easy, 23-km trip with access to many other high alpine trails and routes. The scenery along this trail is simply breathtaking.

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…berg.html

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

Anton C - thanks for the prompt reply to the thread!

We have talked about the Berg Lake Trail, but as most people say that you should spend at least two days on that hike, we are now looking into doing the Kinney Lake Trail to just see a part of it. Would have loved to hike the entire trail, but we only have room for one full day in that area. We have our minds set on Lake O'Hara for a couple of days when in Yoho :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,724 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

The reservations line for Lake O'Hara opens for the season on April 2, but you cannot reserve until three calendar months before the dates you wish - so April 14 for you. pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…reservations

Berg Lake is 21 km *each way* - strong hikers can go in one day and out the next, although it's much more pleasant to go in over two days, and out one... AND there are quite a number of day hiking options once you are based at or near Berg Lake, so ideally, you would want at least four (or more) days in total. There are also helicopter flights in to Berg Lake twice a week (Monday and Friday), at about $225 per person. Some people fly in and then day-hike out, however, given that weather can delay the flight in to later in the day, it's probably a better idea to plan to backpack out (camping en route).

The hike to Kinney Lake is pleasant (and definitely worthwhile), but not really indicative of the rest of the trail. The really good stuff starts farther along, from the Kinney campsite and beyond, or even from Emperor Falls and beyond.

7. Re: 3 or 4-day hike in Yoho NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Yoho National Park