We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Efficient at Male Airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How Efficient at Male Airport.

Hi all,

As you may have read from my post below, we are off to Embudu Village in April 2014.

I am interested to know how efficient the transfer service is from Male airport....our flight from the U.K lands at 9.40am and I am a little curious as to how efficient the onward journey to the island will be....I am imagining in my mind that we should be on the island and in our room by around about 11am.

Would that generally be the case or am I way off the mark ??

19 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

You might be there and then again you might not be. It is impossible to predict how long you will have to wait for the seaplane.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

OnOn, no seaplane required to this island...it's a boat transfer of approximately 45mins.

I was wondering wether or not the boat will be there waiting for us or will we have to wait on the boat etc, how efficient is baggage at the airport etc etc.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

Getting through immigration can take well over an hour depending on how many flights are arriving at similar times, let alone taxi-ing from runway, queue to get off plane, security etc.

The boat for the island may go when you get to the pier or it may wait for other flights.

Really, I'd be thinking 3-4 hours from landing, if it's quicker its a bonus!

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

It depends, you will most likely be at the hotel around lunch time. It can take 2 hours and it can take 4 hours, boat transfer is not always faster than seaplane as there can still be waiting time... all you can do is wait and see :)

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

Remember that check-in time is at least 14:00, do you could have your room at that time and no earlier...

Luxurious island pick up guests and take them yo the island inmediately (baros, Banyan Tree, ...: you arrive at the island one hour and a half or two hours after landing: they are waiting for you when you take your suitcases and go to the island in that moment), in your case, it'll depend on the number of guests arriving, you could have to wait for other flights...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

Or they may have to wait for you. No one can guess for you. It will be what it will be. Don't micro manage it, just go with the flow.

You will probably have lunch at the resort and then be given your room. Depends on availability. I would estimate you would get there by about lunch time on an average day.

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

Been there four times, room has always been available on arrival, between 11 - 1 pm.

All depends how many on the boat transfer and how quick the cases come through.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

Impossible to say when you will get there as generally speaking Weather it is a boat or a seaplane you will have to wait until it fills up,so in other words if you are the first there you could have a long wait waiting for other guests off other flights but if you are the last there you could be straight off.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

Wow...many thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

Were more than happy to go with the flow...we will be in holiday mode after all...lol.

I just wasn't wanting to be hanging about at an airport when I could be chilling out on the beach.

However I have checked the flight arrival schedule at Male for Monday the 18th of November....obviously not the day of our arrival, but I guess that airlines and airports generally run on the same schedule from one week to the next.

I'm hoping that we are lucky as we have a BA from Gatwick landing 5mins before us and a Fly Dubai from Dubai 5mins after us and then it looks like local Maldivian air-traffic until 10.45am when a Sri Lankan from Colombo arrives....so we may be lucky and be whisked pretty much straight off to our little paradise island.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Efficient at Male Airport.

A lot of flights, that also means a long queue in immigration...

I've tajen a speedboat to Banyan Tree, baros, Soneva gili and huvafen fushi: no wait at all, they were waiting for us and we leave immediately and alone: we were the only guests in the speedboat. For Anantara dighu we waited for half an hour for guests in a another flight: no problem for me, half an hour is acceptable... That's my speedboat transfer experience...

Edited: 12:16 am, November 18, 2013
Reply to: How Efficient at Male Airport.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Emboodhu Finolhu
Recent Conversations