We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rawene ferry

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Rawene ferry

Is anyone able to tell me please how busy the first ferry crossing gets?

We'll be driving from Omapere and need to catch this ferry to be in Kaitaia by 9am. I am wondering how early we need to leave if there is likely to be a queue.This would be on December 17th.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,597 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rawene ferry

Weekdays the early sailings have regulars who are heading for work on either side of the harbour. You should be OK for the 17th as long as you arrive a good 10 minutes before departure. Depends on how many other visitors there are touring this region though, and what local event too. Ive often observed people turning up just as the vessel is preparing to leave!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rawene ferry

As long as you arrive a good 10-15 minutes prior to the sailing time you should be fine.....

http://www.communities.co.nz/rawene/ferry.cfm

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rawene ferry

In my experience it always pays to get to the ferry 15 minutes before departure time.

As you are probably aware the ferry departs every hour on the half-hour from Rawene and on the hour from the other side, the first sailing from Rawene being at 7.30 am.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rawene ferry

Thanks everyone. Looks like an early start for us then.We'll be there in plenty of time I hope.

We have a full day out with private 4x4 up to the Cape etc.but should be back before the last crossing which is at 8pm I believe.

We are really looking forward to this trip.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,597 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rawene ferry

Please dont stress the ferry departures, the sailings work to local time - which is far removed from the big smoke. Cheers, and have a wonderful day out.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rawene ferry

Thanks Frangipani, we'll be hoping for a good dry day to really enjoy seeing this region.

7. Re: Rawene ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 30, 2012