We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

My husband and I may have the chance to visit northern South Island in mid March in and we had Golden Bay recommended to us for 4-6 nights .

There seems to be a number of different 'villages' or townships. Is any place any better than another? We were considering renting a bach as this seems cheaper than the hotels and there seem to be quite a number on the waterfront.

We like the ocean, possibly some kayaking and walking and my husband is a keen fisherman.

Thanks for the assistance.

12 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

There are three main villages -

Takaka - buzzing, full of colour and cafes - a haven for the hippies

Collingwood - tidal - so not so pretty when the tide is out.

Pohara - right on the beach

my favourite spot in Golden Bay is Paton's Rock - quiet and relaxed with stunning beaches and nice bush walks. However it's a drive to any restaurants etc.

Hope this helps :)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

Takaka is the main settlement where the supermarkets etc are. But it is not next to the ocean. Most holiday makers stay at Pohara, LIgar, Tata beach - they have nice beaches and are to the East. Pohara has three main restaurants and a store - so it is convenient as well. If you are renting a bach try to get beachfront. The Pohara beachfront motels are very well located and I stayed there last month.

From takaka in the northern area is quite a few places such as Patons Rock and then even further North is pakawau and puponga. Pakawau was one of our favourite camping grounds for many years due to it being more remote. Collingwood is the main settlement in this area with a supermarket and few restaurants, hotel etc. But it doesn't have much of a beach area.

Golden Bay kayaks has guided and freedom kayak rental and is based at Tata beach.

There are some beautiful walks in Golden Bay - but it is a spread out place. I do suggest Wainui falls walk (a short drive from Tata to the start). The Abel Tasman national Park can be accessed at Totaranui (but it is a winding, single road) further on from Tata.

I really recommend the Golden Bay hydro walk. Very interesting. Further info can be found on this website

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Also a trip to Golden Bay isn't complete without visiting the pupu springs (one of the clearest waters in the world).

And Wharariki Beach and farewell spit are quite unique. The windswept wharikiki beach is a photographers delight.http://www.goldenbaynz.co.nz/walks/wharariki-beach-cape-farewell/

So where to stay. I would actually suggest a couple of days around Pohara, or Tata beach to explore that side of Golden Bay. And then a night or two nearer Collingwood side to enjoy that side of the Bay

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

Thanks so much. really appreciate the local advice - yes maybe staying in 2 spots is the way to go.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

It will save you lots of backtracking. The roads are quite narrow, but perfectly fine for driving on from

collingwood. You probably will never come across so many one lane bridges along a stretch of road as there are from Collingwood go Pakawau!

do you intend eating out in restaurants or eating in?

that would influence the final decision on what would suit you best.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

I also suggest you have a look at whararikibeachholidaypark.co.nz/attractions-…

This is at the northern most part of Golden Bay. Its quite remote, but a short 15 minute walk to wharariki beach, close to farewell spit walks so would be great for a night or two.

but plenty of bachs to rent. Just be aware that you need to clean these before you depart, so that can take a good couple of hours. This can eat into good sightseeing time so It is recommended to see if you can arrange a cleaner. You generally also need to provide linen.

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

We stayed at Tukurua, about 15 minutes from Takaka, at a beachfront place which was very picturesque and relaxing (Adrift on Golden Bay) - and it had its own kayaks to use if you wanted. On the downside it wasn't inexpensive.

There was a lot of work going on at Te Waikoropupu Springs (Pupu Springs) at that time in Nov 13 to restore some paths following landslip and access was restricted however it has possibly been completed by now - the water was amazingly clear. I would also endorse poppynz's suggestion of Wainui Falls which we thought was a great trail - although it too was suffering from landslip but which added to the adventurous feel about the place (as did the suspension bridge)!

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

Thanks again.

We are quite prepared to eat in most of the time and there do seem to be some baches in all of the above areas - some right on the beach. As we won't be travelling with kids these days, it does open it up. A number of them seem to have a cleaning fee and/or linen hire which would be easier as well.

I'm presuming that a normal hire car would be sufficient and we wouldn't need a 4wheel drive?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

Normal hire car fine. Enjoy your trip.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
1 post
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay

We (4 adults) have just stayed in a lovely old historic house in Collingwood for $120NZ a night (www.mastersplace.co.nz). Has heaps of rooms and character and is right across the road from the beach and next door to Rosey Glow hand made chocolate shop. Beach is very tidal at Collingwood and quite different to Ozzie beaches. Cockles at your door step.

Most accommodation/activities are based around Takaka/Pohara which is also tidal but the glorious Tata Beach is lovely golden sand and not far out.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay

Personally, i think Tata would suit you best with your kayaking interests. Check out holiday homes in the area.

Reply to: where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Golden Bay