We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Singapore
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Hi, this is my first time to the region & would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Initially I planned for a slowly & relaxed trip with driving not more that 2 hours a day.CHC/Hanmer springs/Murchison/Moteuka valley/Nelson/Picton/Kaikoura/CHC.

However, after I began reading all the recommendations here to stay at Tasman region, I decided to skip Murchison & Motueka (merely homestays to enjoy nature) & travel straight to Collingwood for 2 nights.

I've checked googlemaps & it shows a 4hr 50 min driving time from Hanmer Springs to Collingwood. Is this accurate? I am, in fact, a little worried about the roads along the way. Are they winding & narrow for long stretches, or up & downhills?

Also, is Collingwood a good place to stay overnight to explore the region? It seems much easier to get accommodations here than other areas during summer. TIA!

Singapore
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Any advice please?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

I doubt I could drive Hanmer to Collingwood in 5 hours and I find most Google drive times impossible. Check your drive times here www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

and why not stay at least one night in Nelson? It's a great area with lots to explore :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Indeed WanakaLakes, AA driving time shows it to be 7 hr 45 min! Thanks for the wakeup call!

I am thinking now to drop driving to Golden bay & stay around Moteuka area & travel by water taxi to see golden bay instead. This would avoid driving up the Taka Hills as I am not confident my children would enjoy the long & winding drive. No wonder the accommodations are not as well booked out as other areas.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

That's a good decision SG, I'm sure you won't be disappointed :)

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

if you have children and wish a liesurely trip why not go to Kaikoura then Blenhiem then Nelson ....all 2 hour trips with fantastic scenery.

I will say that I never go to nelson province without going to the Colingwood area....its NZ in a Parcel but the Takaka Hill....the whole hill is marble....is a an hour in/on the hill but well worth it.

Singapore
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Hi mausgrass, is Collingwood a must-see? How different is the area compared to other beaches nearer Nelson (after Abel tasman National park)? I would love to hear your feedback.

The other choice I have is to stay one night in Motueka Valley, enroute to Collingwood. I love the cottages there & charming beaches! However, many accommodations in this area do not accept credit cards which is a problem for a foreigner like me.

I am already planning to tour Nelson/Picton/Kaikoura later part of trip. I appreciate your inputs so that I can fine tune my itinerary not to miss any amazing spots. Thanks!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

never worry about credit cards .....just make sure you have a debit card and get out the cash and pay them

Nothing is nicer than Kaiterteri beach just outside Motueka but there are good ones at Pakawah just past Collingwood.....or at Pohara just past takaka.

My comments are that there is a certain ruggedness going out to Farewell Spit and there are little communities along the way.

Singapore
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Hi again mausgrass, thanks for your inputs! I really appreciate it.

Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Hi there,

Golden Bay is defiinitely worth a visit...though you may find Collingwood a bit sleepy this time of year. I'd suggest staying in Takaka or Pohara and using that as your base to explore the Bay. Pohara Beach is a great kid-friendly beach and the days are crisp and clear and warm this time of year.

Enjoy your visit!!

PS: The Takaka Hill is beautiful and not that bad of a road. Take your time and enjoy the views.

Singapore
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on trip planning -Nelson/malborough in 12 days!

Thanks for sharing ratanui. Yes, I've read so much of Golden Bay beauty by now. However, for my kids & time constraints, I have to skip it this round as I want my family to have a fun & relaxing holiday. Will definitely return one day with my old man! Cheers!

Get answers to your questions about Nelson-Tasman Region