We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route

Palmer,Massachusetts
Level Contributor
133 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route

We will be staying at Fulton's Steamboat Inn in Lancaster for a few days in August,and we thought we might take in a Phillies baseball game.How long of a ride would it be to the stadium, and what would be the best route(quickest & less traffic)...Thanks

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
245 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route

Interesting question ... I just checked mapquest and they suggest going north to the turnpike (76) and taking it East to 676 (Schuylkill Expressway) to the Vine Street Expressway to 95 South. (I usually take Rte 30 from Lancaster, but it can be slow as there is no passing lane). Either way you go, I think that mapquest timing is a bit of a dream - I would budget 2 hours because of frequent traffic jams on the Schuylkill. Also, you may want to arrive earlier because of traffic going to the game.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route

Google Maps offers 3 options. The one described above is the way we have always gone. They claim it would take 1.5 hrs. (but at the time I checked, 1:50 in current traffic situations.) However, on a game night that is wishful thinking. Getting in and out of Philly can be a major PITA when there isn't a game, the Schuykill (affectionately known as the "sure kill") is often stand still for long stretches. I would give myself 2.5 hrs. and be thankful if I showed up early enough to enjoy walking around the ball park to check things out before game time.

I can't really comment on the other routes suggested by GoogleMaps because I've never taken them to the sports complex area. I HAVE taken those routes as far as the airport to avoid the Schuykill and it is a very pleasant drive. But once you are going from the airport area into the city, it could get ugly. May have to keep them in mind for the next time we go to a Phillies or Flyers game to try out to see how it is.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route

The last time I drove to a Phillies game, it took over 3 hours because of traffic and I swore I'd never do it again. The best, quickest and least stressful way would be to take Amtrak into the city and then take the subway to the sports complex. From Fulton Steamboat it's only a 30 minute drive to the Parkesburg station, then less than an hour into the city. From 30th St Station, it's another 20 minutes or so by subway to the sports complex, or a taxi could get you there in about 10. So a little under 2 hours total and no stress or anxiety (the Schuylkill is always stressful, no matter how much traffic...there's a reason they call it the Sure Kill).

Have fun!

Maine
Level Contributor
23 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route

When we were in the area (Lancaster, not Philadelphia) in early July there was a fair amount of construction going on along Route 30 east of Ronks... As others have noted, you almost can't allow too much time if you are driving. I used to drive and learned to hate the Sure Kill--to the point I would sometimes use back roads to the south of the area and have a leisurely trip that wasn't fast but didn't involve sitting in a parking lot called a highway.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route

Just a thought, but it would be a lot less stressful (and considerably more affordable) to take in a minor league baseball game.

The Lancaster Barnstormers play in a beautiful new stadium They are in the Atlantic League an independent minor league.

The Reading Phillies are the AA Eastern League team in the Phillies organization. Their stadium First Energy stadium is older, but beautifully maintained.

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route

You could also take US 30 from Lancaster to one of the SEPTA train stations (such as Exton or Malvern) and take the R5 regional rail into Philadelphia and then transfer to the subway. I am not sure of the schedules, since it depends on what day and time the proposed game you are going to is. Someone suggested Amtrak, but for short regional trips SEPTA may be cheaper, and either way you're going to have to transfer to the Subway.

7. Re: Best Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 06, 2013