We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aggressive Drivers

Woodstock, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Aggressive Drivers

We justed returned from Lancaster County and were surprised by the amount of aggressive drivers that we encountered.

Passing on solid lines, speeding, horn blowing, and tailgating.

We have visited before and never noticed this kind of thing.

Wondering if this is a problem, or if we just happened to visit at the wrong time?

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aggressive Drivers

You must have been there on a bad day - we travel Rt 30 in Lancaster often and never had problems like these.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aggressive Drivers

So sorry you experienced this unfortunate behavior.

Were these aggressive drivers locals? You really can't tell because even if they do have PA plates, remember that PA is a huge state!

Hope you'll return anyway to enjoy all the county has to offer!

Make your stay an Authentic one...remember, life is too short to stay at a chain hotel!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aggressive Drivers

Unortunately, it seems you can't escape from aggressive drivers, even in peaceful PA Dutch country.

The locals sometimes grow impatient with tourists driving very slowly and not watching the road as they rubberneck past Amish farms and stands.

But heavy traffic, which Rt, 30 east of the city is renowned for, can bring out the worst in many drivers.

I've driven in the county for 40 years, and have seen a steady decline in the way drivers respect basic traffic laws, such as stopping for stop signs and red lights. Nearly all drivers were courteous when I started driving, and you almost never saw the kind of behavior you now see every day, all day.

Woodstock, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aggressive Drivers

Thanks guys for all of your replies.

I am not sure if they were locals, I didn't think to look at the tags.

Glad to hear that it is not an everyday occurrence.

I agree with you daddio361, there has been a steady decline in courteous drivers, - nationwide.

We will visit again, it is a beautiful area with much to see and do.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aggressive Drivers

I think you see this kind of thing everywhere. I've been through the area a number of times myself and can't recall anything out of the ordinary. I'm from Pittsburgh, though, so my definition of "aggressive" may not be the same as yours. Case in point, I got all kinds of warnings from family and friends when I traveled through Charlotte, NC and around DC/Baltimore about fast/aggressive driving, and I felt comfortable on the roads in all locations. I think when it comes right down to it, every location on the planet will have its share of good and bad drivers.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aggressive Drivers

Agree 100%, and didn't mean to imply otherwise.

One thing I ask visitors to consider is that the Amish live in a much slower world than ours. Perhaps it will help your appreciation of that lifestyle by tring to adapt to it, even if that only means observing the speed limits on hilly back roads. Cresting a hill at excessive speed can lead to tragedy if there happens to be a buggey on the other side.

7. Re: Aggressive Drivers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 26, 2013