We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel

Saint Charles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel

I will be visiting my daughter in Quito in early July this year. We plan to spend a week in Puerto villamil. We are on a tight budget so I booked a room already at the Hospedaje Casa Soleil. I also already booked my flight from St. Charles, MO, USA to Quito. I found a flight from Quito to Galapalagos for $428. I have not booked this flight yet. I read about taking a inter island flight from Baltra to Isabella island or taking a boat. I am confused and don't want to book anything until I have this all straight in my head. I read that the boat leaves from Baltra ? at 1400 daily. I am prior military and understand that this is 2pm. OK, what time does the boat leave Isabella to return to Baltra? Is there only one boat a day? How far will we be from puerto vallimil when we dock? How safe is it to take a cab or bus from the airpost to the pier or dock? There is no ATM's, so how safe is carrying cash? As you can see, I need help with this leg of my trip.

Please help!

Julie

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel

Dear Julie -

the timetable and routes for boats between islands can vary a lot. I didn't even think there was a boat from Baltra directly to Villamil - you might want to double check. Traditionally, they leave from Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz island. The best bet is to talk to the Casa Soleil people - they live in Villamil, they deal with tourists - they must have all the latest info. Otherwise, Galapagos is very safe - of course, don't flaunt your wads of cash to everybody and lead folks into temptation. Getting to and from airport (landing strip rather) in Villamil, or the docks, is "easy peasy" and there will be taxis (pick-up trucks) around all the time to give you a ride in (duration about 2-3 minutes). You could walk from the docks, but the sun can be a deterrent. Lower end places in Villamil can be pretty rustic, to say the least - so make sure your expectations are in line with what you are paying. I would suggest you don't pay the whole bill before hand - but keep your options open - if you're there for a week, you can take the opportunity to look around if you are not completely satisfied.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Saint Charles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travel

Thanks for the advice. The cash on hand kinda worries me. I was told there are no ATMS on Puerto Vallamil and everybody wants to be paid in cash. I did reserve a room in Puerto Ayora on the day we arrive in Baltra and the night before we leave to return to Quito just in case the boat ride schedule became a hassle. This way we will land around noon and have all day most the night to goof around in Santa Cruz. I am looking forward to the boat ride, sounds like fun. I have a boat on the Mississippi, and am retired Navy. So a boat ride can't be anything but fun. Lol I still have no idea when the boat ride leaves Puerto Villamil so I reserved a room the same day as our check out date, and we will fly out of Baltra the next day. I hope I got this all right. I have had a few Heineken's and am a bit buzzed? You can drink there Ya?

Julie

3. Re: travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:31 pm, April 17, 2014
Livermore...
Level Contributor
219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel

Hi Julie,

You are right, there are currently no ATM machines in Puerto Villamil and few places take credit cards. If you will be visiting Isabela, be sure to bring plenty of cash. Your hotel will likely have a safety box either in the room, or at reception where you can store valuables. In general, Puerto Villamil is considered a safe town in Galapagos.

Fast boats depart from Puerto Ayora to Puerto Villamil twice a day, at 7am and at 2pm. Usually 3 boats depart during each of those times if there are enough passengers to fill them all up. If not, you can have 1 or 2 departing, but usually no one is left out. The cost of this trip is $30 dollars per person.

There is also an EMETEBE Airlines flight that departs once a day from Baltra to Isabela at 12:30pm. The cost of this flight is $155 for foreigners, $125 for Ecuadorians and $60 for Galapagos residents. The flights last approximately 25 minutes.

Good luck with your trip!

5. Re: travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, October 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Villamil