We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dawn Beach Estates

Birmingham, Alabama
7 posts
Save Topic
Dawn Beach Estates

Does anyone know if the Villas, specifically Dolfijin, in Dawn Beach Estates were damaged and if water has been restored to that side of the island. We have the villa rented the 2nd week in November and we can’t get any response from our rental agent as to it’s condition. After repeated emails and phone calls, they have still not let us know if it is even habitable. I hate to worry about a vacation with everything going on there but I don’t know what to do. My heart breaks for St Martin - we visit there often and love the island and the people so much. I know it will come back more beautiful than ever and I can’t wait to go back.

20 replies to this topic
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

I can't even locate Dawn Beach Estates on Google maps.

From what I've read, The Westin Dawn Beach Resort and the Coral Beach Club were heavily damaged/destroyed.

If the Dawn Beach Estates are in that vicinity...it probably wouldn't be good news.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

And you might want to read this entire thread...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g16065…

Birmingham, Alabama
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

Dawn Beach Estates overlooks Oyster Pond and out to St Barth’s and is very close to the Westin. That’s what I’m afraid of but I can’t get any information out of our rental agent. Thank you very much for the information.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

Not getting any information out of your real estate agent probably speaks volumes.

If you know what I mean.

Birmingham, Alabama
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

I know - the only thing they said is we are not refunding your money. They won’t return calls, we don’t know if the villa is even standing! We have had to get an attorney involved. We have rented in St Martin on numerous occasions and have never had a problem. We have never used this company either.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

Best of luck to you.

Let us know how it works out.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

If you don't mind me asking...how much did you lay out. I'm assuming it's quite a bit if you're getting an attorney involved.

And did you use a credit card? Sometimes having your credit card company do the work for you is the best option.

Birmingham, Alabama
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

It was only about $3,000 and they wanted a check, unfortunately. I wouldn’t have minded a credit for a future stay, which was offered by an employee of the rental company (she said that was all she was authorized to do). It’s the fact that nobody in management with that company will return calls, emails or communicate at all. I wouldn’t feel comfortable renting thru them ever. I can’t inagine running a company like that.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

I guess now you know why they insisted on a check.

So if the employee of the rental company said she could authorize a credit, and you said you would've been happy with that...why didn't you take it?

Lastly, and I'm not trying to cover for the owners...but communication on the island still isn't anywhere near normal. Maybe they actually can't be reached. It is a possibility. My favorite resort is still having issues with communication. The only thing they were able to do was put a small update on their website. And I think their NY office did that.

Of course, I can also imagine the worse in reference to the owners, but I choose not to go down that path without more info.

Birmingham, Alabama
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dawn Beach Estates

We have to take vacation that particular week. We already had airline tickets, car rental, etc. I inquired about the status of the villa not knowing if we should change our air reservations and couldn’t get an answer. I kept calling and emailing and getting these vague messages that “all I am authorized to do is offer a credit for a later date” and a blatant refusal to give more information. The refusal of management to return a call or let us know if this home is damaged makes me feel this is not a reputable company. They are in the US. I am in the real estate business on the legal side and this set off all sorts of alarms. We found the villa originally thru VRBO/Home Away and it has now been removed from their site.

Reply to: Dawn Beach Estates
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oyster Pond