We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East End Lodging

Milford, New Jersey
14 posts
Save Topic
East End Lodging

Would appreciate help from the experts in deciding between Morritt's or the Reef Resort for vacation in Mid-April. Most important to me in the accomodations is that they are CLEAN - doesn't need to be fancy, just clean - free parking for the rental car, at least a mini-kitchen (fridge, microwave, coffeemaker), snorkeling from the beach and a pleasant beach bar on the property would be nice. I've been researching the two locations and they seem pretty similar - having trouble deciding...Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
914 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East End Lodging

We are currently at The Reef Resort with son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren (disclaimer: we are timeshare owners here). I am familiar with both properties, having stayed several times at The Reef Resort and visited Morritt's several times.

If I had to generalize, I would say that The Reef is more family/kid friendly and Morritt's seems more geared for couples. I prefer the family atmosphere at The Reef, but thirty years ago I would have preferred the more party-oriented atmosphere over at Morritt's. Both establishments are sufficiently clean upon check-in. The Reef is now offering optional daily cleaning for clean freaks, not sure what Morritt's does in that regard.

Both feature long beaches, The Reef having the longer beach and Morritt's having more sandy entries. Neither establishment charges for parking. The Reef has a bar on the beach and Morritt's has one on their dock.

Snorkeling is a wash, as the current runs from south to north and the best route is to walk well south of Morritt's and drift up with the current to The Reef's dock, stopping at Morritt's dock to see the huge tarpon school that hangs around there. I did that route just yesterday, and among other fish I saw were a yellow stingray, young Nassau Grouper, and Red Hind. But for even better snorkel locations, check out Testudo's guide:

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

The best snorkeling on the island is at Rum Point, which is where I am heading in a few minutes. I like to do the Rum Point reef route ending up at the Coral Gardens.

The large infinity pool with swim-up bar at Morritt's is the best pool among the two resorts. The Reef's pools on the timeshare side are geared for kids, while the pool on the condo side is larger, deeper and better for adults.

Both places feature what I would described as somewhat overpriced restaurants, i.e. if you're gonna blow $25-30 CI on an entree you're much better off going to Tukka two miles to the south and getting a gourmet-class meal (there are other really good restaurants on the East End/North Side of the island, including The Lighthouse in Breakers, the Rum Point Restaurant, and Kaibo Upstairs).

I would suggest that regardless of which property you choose, you upgrade from a simple room with mini-fridge, microwave and toaster to a unit with a full kitchen. That way you will have the option of cooking meals on those nights when you are too tired from all the snorkeling you will end up doing to want to go out. :)

claimbert1
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East End Lodging

I have only stayed at The Reef, but the main difference before you look at all the details, is that every room at the Reef faces the water. The views are amazing!

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: East End Lodging

wow, p59teitel, great detail, good job...congrats on the DE by the way, and YAHOO, you're in Cayman! Hope you all have a wonderful time as usual. :) We'll be there in a couple months....anything new? Any word on the stray dolphin? Barefoot still performing outside?

claimbert1...you took the words right out of my mouth...for those of us who don't have a view of the Caribbean from the states :) the first difference I think when comparing the properties is the all ocean front views at the Reef. At Morritts you could quite easily end up with a view of the back of another one of their buildings or the parking lot or perhaps the road....as someone who spends the first hours in the morning and the last few sitting on that big balcony at the Reef and staring at the ocean and palm trees, I would be extremely upset not having that view as long as possible.

just my two cents worth milford 562...good luck with your decision and have a wonderful vacation!

Celine

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
914 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East End Lodging

D'oh! Can't believe I missed the fact that The Reef has all waterfront units with a view...

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: East End Lodging

I'm guessing rum punch...but that's just a guess. :)

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East End Lodging

More likely a Trappist Westvleteren XII...or three.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: East End Lodging

same result. :)

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: East End Lodging

Hi, there used to be a Dunkin Donuts across the street with free wifi. I know that it has closed, but has anything replaced it?

Thanks, enjoy the rest of your vacation! Another major snow storm heading to the Northeast! Ugh!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East End Lodging

The Italian Kitchen restaurant expanded into DD's former space.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
914 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East End Lodging

Yep, the DD is gonzo. Dining at the Italian Kitchen tonight.

Testudo, today I spent 3+ hours mapping out the new North Side snorkel spot that lies between Barefoot Beach and Connolly's Cove that I discovered last year. Expect details when I return. But for now, I'm thinking Hogfish Heaven is the operative name.

Hi Celine!

Oh, and today we just picked up another timeshare week at The Reef. The price was right and now the 4th of July and Labor Day vacations are formally enshrined. This occurred BEFORE I started drinking, in case you were wondering!