We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morritt's vacation

Barnhart, Missouri
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Morritt's vacation

We're headed to Morritt's in November. Have a few questions. Should we exchange USD for KYD? Can we exchange currency at the resort? What kind of transportation is available for trips to Georgetown? We are not renting a car. Is there a restaurant on-site? Are there restaurants near the resort?

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
688 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morritt's vacation

Check out Top Questions regarding money issues. Short answer, you don't need to exchange USD

Re-think the car. The taxi cost to and from the airport to Morritt's will be 3-4 days of a car rental. Morritts is relatively isolated. Check it out on Google Earth to get an idea of the location.

Edited: 2:51 pm, July 22, 2012
TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morritt's vacation

As posted above, no need to convert US Dollars. They accept credit cards in most places also. If you pay in USD, you will recieve change in CI$.

Morritt's is a good 45 minute ride from the airport. A taxi will be expensive, but if you simply are not comfortable renting and driving on the left side of the road, there are food options near.

Morritt's has 2 restaurants - one a casual dock bar/restaurant over the water and one more upscale inside. Next door at The Reef Resort, there are also 2 restaurants and a Subway Deli. Across the road, there is The Italian Kitchen (excellent food) available for dine in or carry-out, a donut shop and a small convenience - type grocery store with a good basic selection. Also close is Tukka Restaurant that provides free shuttle service from Morritt's.

Morritt's provides a shuttle service to and from Georgetown ( I think leaves around 9am and returns around 3pm) 4-5 days a week for about $15-$20pp.

That said, we always rent a car to explore a little further.

You can also book various snorkeling , diving trips and tours from Morritt's and their concierge can help with any other needs, including 2 day car rentals from the Morritt's lobby !

Enjoy !

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morritt's vacation

Tropicana Tours ( http://www.tropicana-tours.com/orderform.htm) provides round-trip shuttle service to the East End where Morritt's is located for $50/pp Check with Morritt;'s as they may have a discount if the service is booked by them.

The cost of the shuttle or taxi could instead easily be applied to a car rental as would any money you might spend on going on trips arranged by Morritt's. IMO, you will be very limited as to what you can do without a car. Having one will allow you explore places on the Northside and Rum Point as well as place closer to Georgetown. If you are not comfortable with renting a car directly at the airport and driving to the resort , McCurley's will pick you up and drive you to Morritt's, where a car will be waiting. McCurley's will then shuttle you back to the airport at the end of your vacation. Friends used them in January and were pleased. Rental for a compact car (which will be several years old, just so you know) was $300 a week. They do not have a website but you can contact them via e-mail at

mccurley@candw.ky

Just a note about the Subway next door at The Reef. Don't expect any "$5 Foot-longs"! Price will be about double that.

Barnhart, Missouri
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morritt's vacation

Thanks for the all replies. We already booked round-trip transfers to/from the airport with Tropicana Tours. I used points accummulated on my credit card. How far of a walk is it from the hotel to the Reef Resort and the convenience store? Neither my husband nor I have ever driven on the left side of the road and are a bit apprehensive. However, we're willing to give it a try. How much would it cost to rent a car at Morritt's for one or two days? What is parking like in Georgetown? Are there parking lots or street parking or both? Escargot2 said that Morritt's provides a shuttle to Georgetown 4 or 5 days a week. This might be an option for us instead of the car. Is this shuttle available on the weekend?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,541 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morritt's vacation

I think that would be an excellent idea for you to rent a car for a few days once you've arrived at Morritt's in order to explore the island. That said, I would not suggest driving in George Town. It is a location best explored on foot. With a rental car I would suggest spending a day at Seven Mile Beach, perhaps snorkeling in West Bay and/or visiting the Turtle Farm. Another option would be to drive to Rum Point, take a Stingray City trip and/or try some of Testudo's other snorkel recommendations.

If you do decide to drive to GT, a good place to park is in the Bayshore Mall. The attended parking is inexpensive or free with certain rental car companies or a purchase at the outdoor mall (hint, they have a Haagen Daz).

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morritt's vacation

The shuttle from Morritt's into town was available Mon-Fri when I was there in May.

The Reef Resort is literally next door .... walk on the beach over there ! Maybe 5 minutes. The "shopping centre" is across the road and maybe a 10 minute walk. In that center is the Foster's Express Market, a Dunkin' Donut type place, The Italian Kitchen ( delicious and can eat in or carry back over to your condo) , a liquor/beer store and a gift shop where you can buy postcards / stamps / tee shirts / misc stuff.

Even though we have a car , we always walk across the road unless the weather is bad at the minute we "have" to go !! haha

You can get by without a car, but you will probably feel more comfortable when you get there and actually see the East End area. Maybe a 2 day rental would work best for you. As said above, driving back into GT is a different matter than driving around East End , Northside , the Rum Point area, etc.

Barnhart, Missouri
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morritt's vacation

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if we can we rent a car with automatic transmission? Neither my husband nor I know how to drive a car with manual transmission. We think that, if there are a limited number of auto transmission cars, then we need to make the car reservation now. Are there any good restaurants, other than Italian, on the east and north side of the island (Colliers and North Side areas)?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morritt's vacation

Never been offered a manual transmission, always automatic.

Tukka, Rum Point Club Dinner Restaurant, Kaibo Upstairs and Kurts Corner are all favs. Have not been to Miss Vivine's to weight in, nor recently to the Lighthouse and South Coast Bar & Grill since each has changed chefs. Over the Edge can be hit or miss and has been more miss on my last few visits.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2194940-s5/North-Sid…

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morritt's vacation

Although I have been driving on the other side for many years now, had to start sometime. My first experience was when I moved to the UK and drove in London which with all the roundabouts etc was at first a bit of a challenge. Driving in Grand Cayman is nothing like it. It is truly very easy, the roads are pretty flat and there really are not big curves, only a few roundabouts (always give way to the driver in the roundabout) and the drivers are extremely courteous. In fact it is easier and more pleasant to drive in GC than many big US cities. I'd give it a try -- great place to get your feet wet!!!

10. Re: Morritt's vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 10, 2013