We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

Hi all,

for my 50th birthday, my partner and I have booked a week in Cape Town arriving late afternoon on Monday 28th March 2016 and leaving on Monday 4th April (to go for a week to Durban to visit family). I've already booked The Vineyard hotel in Newlands for the whole week. I've stayed there before and love the setting.

Other than that, I've bought tickets for a Kirstenbosch concert on the Sunday before we leave and we have a rented car for the duration. But everything else is undefined at the moment...

Here are some of the other things I'd like to do:

- walk up Table Mountain and take the cable car down

- evening in V&A waterfront

- sundowners in Camps Bay

- wine route day tour

- drive to Cape Point

- drive to Stellenbosh?

- penguins other further away beaches?

I suppose I am wondering now how to put all this together to form an itinerary with the necessary flexibility! For example, in case Table Mountain is foggy, and whether there is anything else I should absolutely do. We're not museum lovers, but we do like quirky 'real' informal places or activities, braais and red wine.

Thank you for any suggestions you may be able to offer us!

Teresa

Stellenbosch, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

I would maybe consider a trip to Robben Island. You need to book it in advance but check how busy it gets that time of the year and see if you can wait till you can get a sort if weather fore adt.

Do Table Mountain as soon as you have a good day. Hermanus suffers more from bad weather than the winelands.

28 March is a public holiday, but most places will be open, banks not.

That week is in the school holidays, so take into account. Also,book your ticket to Durban ASAP, it will fet very busy at the end of the holidays.

Enjoy our beautiful city!

Stellenbosch, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

Forgot to add, Stellenbosch is 50 min in no traffic fromNewlands,you can possibly combine with other things e.g, wine tour. Hermanus is also a nice day trip.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
427 reviews
3. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

We found the red wine at Postcard Cafe really great and the setting really amazing. It's just near Stellenbosch in Stark Conde winery.

We found Betty's Bay penguin viewing less crowded than Boulders Beach. Not to mention that it's way much cheaper at Betty's Bay which is 90 km away from CPT. You can combine it with Hermanus or Stellenbosch.

Miki

Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

You really should do Stellenbosch and go to Mooiberge Strawberry Farm. Also see Spier Wine Farm. Church Street in Stellenbosch is also a must.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Yes, we will go to Robben Island - I had originally thought that it might not be possible, but we will try to book from the UK.

Thanks for the advice and for pointing out the bank holiday and the school holidays... I had not thought of that. I have already booked the Durban flight, thankfully!

Thank you!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

Thanks for the tip about Postcard Cafe' - I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too, and will look into it as it sounds great. I will look into the Spier Wine farm too.

Our only issue with the wine tour is that we're in Newlands and I can't find any of the tours I want to pick us up from there, so I'd have to drive to Cape Town before joining a Tsiba Tsiba tour or equivalent... not sure how to manage this detail. Ideally we'd get picked up and dropped off at the Vineyard, but I don't want an overly fancy tour in a limo, just a regular minibus with regular people is fine :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
1 review
7. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

On the wine tour front I usually use african story tours. Very reasonably priced (~£35) and includes a free lunch. The guides are very knowledgeable. It covers wineries in different areas of Stellenbosch, Franschoek and Paarl. http://www.africanstorytours.com/ website is here. You could easily get a taxi or an uber to your pick up point if they don't go out to Newlands.

Climbing up table mountain - the usual route is Platteklip gorge. It is the most direct and quickest way up. Takes between 1.5-3 hours to climb depending how fit you are. Bear in mind that it is very exposed to the sun on that side of the mountain so bring LOTS of water.

Another great spot for sundowners is signal hill, BYOB and enjoy the view. Whilst it is not strickly speaking allowed to bring alcohol up everyone does and I have never experienced problems with it. Stay a bit later and you get amazing views of the sprawling city and table mountain at night. During the day you can also go paragliding off the side of the hill (a nice 50th birthday treat perhaps). Best done in the late afternoon.

On the way back from Cape Point take Chapman's Peak back. Time it right for some wonderful sunset views over hout bay and the south atlantic (bring some bubbles with you).

I would skip the evening in the V&A and rather head to Catherina's (At steenberg) for an amazing meal and have a little walk around the grounds offering great views of the city. Other great restaurants are La Colombe and Buitenverwachting (book ahead of time for both). You can enjoy amazing meals for ~£40 with a different wine for each course.

I have a dislike of the V&A as I find it over priced and very touristy and there are much better places to have dinner.

I guess if you're stuck on a rainy day head down to Woodstock and explore or maybe one of the fish restaurants on the coast like Kalkies and enjoy watching the rough seas whilst you are inside all cosy.

https://www.iflymagazine.com/… this is an intriguing little video of some of the off beat things to do in CPT.

8. Re: 1 week in Cape Town with car - itinerary suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 15, 2017