We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

Three of us, 52, 54, and 83, will be visiting Cape Town from September 2-6. We will be staying at the Cape Town Westin. Is it worth renting a car, or can we rely on public transportation? One of us (the 54 year-old) is very good at driving on the left. I'm the 52 year-old.

ILIOS Travel
Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Skaris Touring
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Citi Shuttles
Taxis & Shuttles
Africa Afrika Cabs and Tours
Wineries & Vineyards, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours, Day Trips
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

If you're staying in town only then I think you can get by with public transportation. If you wanted to include some easy day trips (e.g., to the Wine Country, to Hermanus (land based whale watching), and the Cape Peninsula), then a car comes in handy. On my first trip to the area I used public transportation the first few days then rented a car in town for a couple of day trips; I then used the car to drive myself to the airport. Worked out well.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

Couldn't agree more with steveb108. Cape Town's city transport is great when comparing to the rest of the country. The added bonus o renting a car is that you can go anywhere you want when you want.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
905 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

We are here now staying in Camps Bay and have a car. It has been very easy to drive around and I've really enjoyed the freedom of having the car. Today we drove Chapman's Peak to Cape Point and it was nice to pull off at lookout spots along the way at our leisure. I haven't looked into public transport, but I'm glad we had the car. We rented from Avis and got a standard van for $375 for 10 days.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

I disagree with them. If it was just the 2 of you 52 and 54 no problem using the public transportation but how on earth can you do it with an 83 year old. Not on. Definitely hire a car. There are 3 of you as well so it will work out cheaper. Really the public transportation here is not that fantastic. Better than it was before but definitely you need to have a car with an 83 year old as part of your party of 3.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

The mobility of an 83-yr old is a factor, but no mention was made of problems. Assuming an 80-something can't get around struck me as off base. My neighborhood has many octogenarians, some close to ninety, who can be seen climbing ladders, pushing lawn mowers and walking ~1 mile to the local shopping center or place of worship. Those activities are more of an effort than climbing a step or two onto a HOHO bus. Assuming the OP stays in the city with easy access to buses/taxis I don't see an issue in getting to local attractions.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

I still see a car as a better bet for getting around with an 80 year old what ever her condition. September can still be quite cold as well. There is also no public transport at or near the Westin Hotel.

Edited: 1:25 pm, July 20, 2014
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

"There is also no public transport at or near the Westin Hotel." Wow. That's very good to know. I guess that makes the decision for us. Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

I believe the Westin is close to the Red Hop On Hop Off bus route. And don't forget you'll have free shuttle service to the V and A Waterfront.

Here's a similar discussion on your posted subject: flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-prefer…

Whatever you decide, Cape Town is a terrific place and you'll have a great time.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

The Red Hop on hop off bus is not public transportation.

It's a tour bus and except for the new my citibus bus which only goes to certain places I would NOT recommend any other forms of transportation. There is a my citibus stop not too far from the westin. As I said before it it was just the 50 odd year old then take the other busses but with an 80 year old hire the car.

10. Re: Worth renting a car in Cape Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 23, 2015