We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

Cameron Park...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

I understand there are a couple markets around cape town, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend any other stores or places in cape town that have handmade crafts from locals or simply give advise about the markets. My fiance and are always looking to find something that is unique and local and that really supports the artist.

London england
Level Contributor
243 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

We liked the Red Shed craft market down at the V & A waterfront

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

The Red Shed is very good.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

Other places to look are Greenmarket Square and the Pan African Market in the CBD, though both seemed to be stall after stall of people selling the exact same low quality tourist trinkets you see everywhere. The temporary V&A Waterfront Craft Market is also similar to the Red Shed and seemed to be a bit higher quality.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

If you want something unique and at the same time support local crafts then I can highly recommend Original T Bag Designs. http://www.tbagdesigns.co.za They have a stall at the craft market at the V & A waterfront. But you can also visit their shop and workrooms near the Imizamo Yethu informal settlement in Hout Bay. My wife and I make sure that we bring back several items as gifts for friends and relatives each time we visit Cape Town.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

Hi there

We too picked up some nice pieces at what I think was the Red Shed. It was a bit like a warehouse on the waterfront.

Also got some great pieces around the main waterfront shops, I know people say it's cheaper elsewhere but time can be a factor.

We find SA pretty easy to get locally made goods compared to some countries, and have quite a few nice ceramic pieces, although some are from Kruger.

Enjoy

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

Try the Blue Shed in the V&A Waterfront. It's usually a lot better than the Red Shed. Everything sold there has to have been made by the seller. It's all local stuff.

7. Re: local ceramics, and handmade arts and crafts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 05, 2015