We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset cruise Cape Town

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset cruise Cape Town

Thinking of going on a sunset cruise in Cape Town 23rd or 24th August. Any suggestions or recommendations of a good company. I note 'Waterfront Boat Company are not well thought of on TA. Has anyone done a cruise with 'Waterfront Charters'? They appear to offer a cruise followed by a dinner in the V & A in one of three restaurants

1. Greek Fisherman

2. Meloncino

3. City Grill Steakhouse

Do we prebook or wait to see what the weather is like?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

Hi,

Suggest you wait and see what the weather is like. Sun sets at 18.23 on 23rd August so just be sure the boat leaves early enough to see it go down - i.e. that there is no departure delay.

Should you miss the cruise, you can watch the sun go down from the beach front in Bantry Bay, Sea Point and Mouille Point.

I would compare prices for cruise alone and for cruise followed by dinner at one of the restaurants mentioned, all of which are good but where you might have to sit inside if it is cold (what choices are offered?) Another lovely restaurant with large picture windows and sliding glass doors (right next to place where boats depart from) is the Harbour House.

Edited: 12:39 am, May 03, 2014
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

All the restaurants mentioned are owned by the same family. Meloncchino is good Italian fare. Greek fisherman self explanatory and city grill more casual.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

Just spoke to Waterfront Cruises. Boat leaves at 5 p.m. and duration of trip is 1 + 1/2 hours. Cost for cruise alone is R250. Menu at Meloncino is: Soup/Salad (for starters); Spaghetti or Risotto or Sirloin for mains and Sorbet for dessert - not bad for R195 plus wine and tip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

I think we may wait until we arrive to book. Any other suggestions on best sunset views of Cape Town? I am hoping to do the Lions Head walk on the first night, weather permitting.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

The best sunset/sunrise views are from the Milnerton to Melbosstrand beaches. The only caveat to this is not on a very windy day, if the wind goes above 15 km/h there is a lot of sand being blown around.

One of favourite ways is to get a pizza from St Elmos in Tableview and walk across the road to the beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

Hi Petrus R

Will this give us views of Table Mountain at sunset?

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

Yes. This is the famous view you see in pictures.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

Awesome. DH loves Pizza

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

That's a hellava long way to go to see the sunrise/sunset/ Its equally good anywhere along the Atlantic Seaboard and there are much better places than St. Elmos especially if you want a decent pizza. You can see a beautiful sunset in Sea Point, Bantry Bay, Camps Bay and fabulous pizza there . St. Elmos not great pizzas

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset cruise Cape Town

There is nothing wrong with ST Elmos I Tableview. Also the sunset and view here is light years better than anything Sea Point can throw up.