We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance Questions

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance Questions

My wife and I have an upcoming trip to South Africa in October. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance but presently no other travel insurance. We travel a lot during the course of the year (wife will have 125,000 miles + on Delta and I'll have 115,000 miles). We average at least one trip per month. Anyway, based on our frequent travel, the health of my wife's parents, etc. would you suggest buying annual travel insurance or individual trip, or continue doing without like we've done for the past many years. Also, any companies we should look at if we were to purchase?

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance Questions

I purchase travel insurance, which includes trip cancellation, whenever I prepay what I consider to be a sizable sum that would not be refundable in case of a last minute emergency cancellation. Such prepays include safaris and cruises. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

You can look at sites like squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com. They will give you any number of policies that you can choose from according to your needs. You can also tweak some of the policies to accommodate you. Expect to pay about 5-10% of the nonrefundable costs of your trip, with about 8% an average.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance Questions

Thanks

For our South Africa trip we paid 3600 each or $7200 total for the flight and $1400 for our 3 day safari and $850 for South African domestic flights with another $500 expected. Delta gave me an option of purchasing for $650 or so. I guess I would rather cover the whole package rather than the Delta flight. I'll check those two sites out.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
862 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance Questions

I got trip insurance for our 20 day SA trip. Coverage for $5000 cost me $100 (2 adults, 3 kids). I only got enough coverage for the items that were non refundable. Allianz was the underwriter.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance Questions

Health insurance while traveling and trip insurance are 2 different things. They are often covered by one policy purchased but you need to make sure you have health insurance coverage that covers medical treatment in the foreign country, many US health insurance policies do not. You also want to include medical evacuation coverage.

I have also used Insuremytrip.com to compare policies. I too am a Delta FF and would never buy the coverage offered through any airline.

5. Re: Travel Insurance Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 19, 2015