We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recc's for neighborhood to stay

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recc's for neighborhood to stay

2 single women, late 40's, 3 day stay in CT...would like suggestions for neighborhood and places to stay. B and B's okay.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

It seems V&A waterfront is tourist-friendly and safe. I also stayed at Mount Nelson in city centre right on Kloof St and that was a great neighborhood as well. Lots of great shopping and dining.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

Camps Bay is very cosmopolitan, lovely beach front area and close to the city with lots of eateries.Would you be averse to staying in a self cater ( even though you can eat out whenever you wish ) What $$ range ? ... as that will generate relevant suggestions.

New York
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

We would to stay in a place, with local flavor, minimize the use of cabs. Any nice boutique types or B and B's?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

Not sure what you mean by 'local flavour' , SA tourism is largely confined to tourist areas not in local areas.

We stayed at the Primi Royal in Camps Bay. It is a few minutes safe walking to the restaurants , bars ,beach of Camps Bay and also the Hop On Hop Off bus stop,(opposite The Bay Hotel) , a great method of seeing all the tourist spots of CT and surroundings. The V&A Waterfront would require a short taxi ride (10 mins) if you want to visit at night after the HOHO finishes, but in my opinion the eating places in Camps Bay are better than V&A area. Camps Bay, however, is not the cheapest area to stay.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

Anything form: Camps Bay, Clifton, Bantry Bay, Sea Point, Green Point, Mouille Point, Waterfront, City Center, Oranjezight and Tamboerskloof.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

Hi Gem, found your posts. I have a dillema I don't know where to stay for last 4 nights of trip. We want beach (chilling)

When you say Camps Bay is pricey how much more than say Hout's Bay and would you recommend here.

Do you have any other suggestions for beach area

Cheers

Russel

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

Hi Russel

property prices on the Atlantic seaboard ( e.g. Camps Bay, Clifton) are some of the highest in the Cape and therefore reflected in the guesthouse prices. We will be staying at Amblewood Guesthouse in Hout Bay and have stayed at Primir Royal, Camps Bay and Ocean View House about 1 mile outside of Camps Bay so car requred. .

I always use the accommodation recommended on TA .

Be aware that 'beach holidays' are not what we are used to in Europe, Far East, Carribbean etc. . SA beaches are very undeveloped, you will need to bring your own seat, umbrella, refreshments etc., the only place I have seen sunbeds to rent is Camps Bay. There are no beach bars or hotels actually on the beach, however, Camps Bay does have bars and cafes over the other side of the road, though I'm not sure how advisable it would be to leave your belongings on the beach . Also the sea is FREEZING.

8. Re: Recc's for neighborhood to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 05, 2015