We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car or HOHO? Sept

Vancouver
Level Contributor
139 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
rent a car or HOHO? Sept

Myself and 2 other females in our 50's are planning to come to SA in Sept.

We will spend about a week in the Cape town area and another week in Jburg.

The dates are flexible but we can't come before the 7th or stay after the 28th.

Budget trip. We would like to see all the usual sites in CP including Robben Island

and Table Mountain. I would also like to see the whales at Hermanus, visit Kyysna (sp)

and see the penguins at boulders. Are we able to do that all on the bus or will we need to rent a car for a few days. I'm iffy on driving on the "wrong" side of the road, especially when jet-lagged !

Does the HOHO bus even run at the beginning of Sept?

thanks for any hints, tips and advice !

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

To see the penguins and go to Cape Point, you will need to hire a car, or take a tour.

Knysna is 500kms away. Hermanus is 150km away. Not sure how you would get there without driving. Knysna you could take a long distance bus, which will probably take 7 or 8 hours 1 way. Not much public transport to Hermanus.

Are you planning on coming to Africa and not going to see an elephant? I guess you could go to the Joburg zoo.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

We are travelling to Cape Town in March and are staying in Cape Town for the first 4 nights without a car, we will get about by the hop on hop off and are booking a full day Cape Peninsula Tour which takes in Cape Point, Boulders beach, Simons Town etc. We are then hiring a car from Cape Town CBD and driving out to Stellenbosch for 3 nights to explore the winelands.

Are you planing on spending a whole week in Joburg? We researched our trip quite a lot and decided to fly straight to Hoedspruit from Cape Town and do a safari at Kruger. We will spend a night in Joburg on our way home but a week seems like a lot. We are spending 4 nights in Cape Town, 3 in Stellenbosch, 3 on Safari and 1 in Joburg and have a pretty packed itinerary.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
139 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

we will be self driving thru Kruger. I'll check and see if flying into Hoedspruit, renting a car there and then

returning it to Jburg for our flight back home is feasible. From the sounds of it we should spend more time in the Cape town area and less around Johannesburg. I like the sounds of your itinerary. I did end up on one site that seemed to indicate the HOHO buses didn't start running until late Sept though. Hopefully thats not correct !

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

The HOHO buses run year round but have a summer & winter timetable. Maybe that is how you thought it only started end Sept.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

Kruger is a good idea, Joburg is not. Rather spend more time in Cape Town it'll be worth your while. You could leave Joburg out all together.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

Agree with divacape to rather stay in Cape Town and spend more time here and then fly straight to Kruger park and then drive form there to Joburg. The Hop on Hop off bus i can suggest you can use for the first or second day in Cape Town and make use of it to get yourself settled in, in Cape Town. You can also make use of both routes, which runs completely different and is loads of fun, the blue and red route. To get to Cape of Good Hope, Hermanus and Knysna you should then be renting a car, because it is a very long drive.

For having about 7days in Cape Town, i would cut out Knysna, because you need to at least spend 4days there and the surrounds and which is a 500km drive from Cape Town. Rather spend your time here and get the surroundings known very well.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Vancouver
Level Contributor
139 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

thanks for the very helpful information. Now I think maybe we'll spend up to 10 days around the Cape town area and 4 nights at Kruger and 1 within a short drive of the Jburg airport so we don't miss our flight.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

Hi the HOHO bus web site http://www.citysightseeing.co.za/capeTown.php

Pilanesberg is closer tho JHB than Kruger and is Maleria Free. It is a smaller park and can be covered in 1-2 days.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

10 days in Cape Town is much better. There is so much to see here. You could even go to Hermanus for either a full day or day and night. The later in September you come the better weather wise because September is still winter but sometimes its can be quite nice, so I would work backwards from the 28th .The 24th September is a public holiday but most places should be open. If youre 3 you should try and hire a car because it will be a lot cheaper divided by 3.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rent a car or HOHO? Sept

We booked the Protea Kempton park at Joburg airport - seems handy.