We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hello Fellow traverlers!!

Two friends and I are going to South Africa in March, we wil be arriving in CPT on Sunday at night, around 9pm.. so that day is considered NULL! I'd like to get an amazing intinerary for 4 full days. We are leaving on Friday the 28th around noon. We like an itinerary where we could see views, nature, city, people, etc! We are into photography, trekking, and walking! Would you recommend us to rent a car for the full 4 days? in what area would you recommend for us to stay in? Any advice you guys can give us would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Luigi

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hi Luigi - no ways you can do the garden route if you only have 4 days in cape town. Its not even enough to see Cape Town. Transport from the airport is very easy. The 3 of you can get a transfer for about R250.00 (for 2 maybe the same for 3 not too sure). Unless you have backpacks you wont fit into a taxi. There are lots of transfer companies that will get your luggage in. There is nothing in the City Bowl. I would recommend you stay either in Green Point, De Waterkant, Sea Point or Camps Bay but Camps Bay would be the most expensive. Just depends whether youre looking for upmarket or not. Eileen's suggestion of the HOHO bus is a good one.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Getting yourself from the Airport i would suggest that you maybe pre-book a transfer to your place of accommodation. Camps Bay is the bets option for you guys, which put's you close to enough restaurants and also 10mins away from the City Center. Taxis charge about R9 - R11 per kilometer and you can use them for short distances, like from the City to Camps Bay or visa versa. You can have a look at Camps Bay Resort for options of accommodation and they are also within walking distance from the main strip of Camps Bay.

The Hop on Hop off bus, www.citysightseeing.co.za is the bets way to get to know the City Center and also Table Mountain. That can take a full day and is worth exploring.

Have a look at the sample itinerary that i have put together:

Day 1 - Full Day in Cape Town

Get the Hop on Hop off bus out of the way first. Table Mountain is weather dependent, so make sure that the weather is good for the day and you can purchase your tickets on the bus. You can start at about 9am and can finish at about 6pm. Sightseeing along the way: Camps Bay for starters, Clifton Beaches, Bantry Bay, Sea Point, Mouille Point Light House, Waterfront, City Center with points of interests along the way such as Cape Castle, Cape of Good Hope, Green Market Square, Parliment Buildings and so much more. You can have a look at the link provided to see the places o interest.

Day 2 - Full Day Activity

Exploring Cape Peninsula. You have the choice of either renting a car, joining a scheduled tour or getting a driver and vehicle or even a guide and vehicle for the day. Which can start at about 8:30am and can finish at about 6pm. Exploring this route will allow you to visit places such as, Houtbay with a possible trip to Seal Island, Chapmans Peak Drive, Noord Hoek, Cape Point Ostrich Farm, Cape of Good Hope with Cape Point Light House, Penguins at Bolders Beach, Simons Town, Fish Hoek, Kalk Bay, Muizenberg which is home to a good surfers beach and then back into Camps Bay.

Day 3 - Full Day Wine Lands

Exploring the wine lands with towns such as Stellenbosch, Franschoek and also Paarl with loads of wine to taste for the day. You once again have the opportunity to rent a car or one of the other options.

Day 4 - Full Day Shark Cage Diving or Day Trip Safari

One of these can be explored close to Cape Town and are within only a 2hrs drive from Camps Bay.

All the best

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

You would need a car to visit the caves/ostriches but it is a long drive and you would be wasting a lot of time on the road when you only have a short stay.

There will be plenty to occupy you staying around Cape Town.

We just left ostrich territory and we did visit the caves but then our trip around western Cape is 3 weeks in total.

The caves are very beautiful, we just did the heritage tour. The adventure tour is for the super fit and slim and I'm neither. That one has you squeezing through tight spaces, crawling on your belly and climbing up and down what looks like difficult places.

2 days taken from your trip to do it is, in my opinion, a waste of time unless you really want to spend so much of each day just getting there and back.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hello Divaspace! Thank you for your reply! I will def consider the areas you are recommending. I have looked into Camps Bay and yes, it is a bit pricey, but seems worth it. We think we are going to be renting a car, only because I like the options provided by Hank.. I am dying to go to the Ostrich farm as well as the shark diving cage adventure!!!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hi Hank! Wow! Thanks for this!! It looks amazing! I will def look into this with my friends! Most of the things you mentioned in your comment is what we want to visit while visiting Cape Town! One qustion though, where is the shark-diving adventure?? Also, as I mentioned above, I think we are going to rent the car becauae we want to have the flexibility of going out of Cape Town if we wanted to! Any other suggestion for Day 3, we drink wine, but I don't think we want to spend a whole day in a winery

Thanks!!

Luigi

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hi Eileen, thanks again for replying! I bet you had a great time visiting the caves. I really wanted to visit them, but If it is too far, then I agree that about the driving. We will consider staying in Cape Town for the 4 days and maybe, take a drive at least 2 hours away from CPT!! I just know that we are super excited to visit South Africa!

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

I see you plan London on your trip. How Long? I may be able to help with that,

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hi Eileen, yes, we have a layover of almost 8hrs. What do you suggest we do? We will not have any carry-ons with us and our bags will be checked through to Cape Town! I was thinking maybe going to Windsor?? We will be arriving in Heathrow!

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hi Luigi,

we've been without WiFi for a couple of days but, even so, I'd have to think about what you can do with only 8 hours in London.

It may take an hour or so to clear customs, then you'd have all the security checks when you go back to the airport which cuts available time down even more.

We go back to UK in 4 days so I'll do some checks when we get home and see if I can come up with something.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Luigi - as Eileen said, dont forget you have to clear customs and if youre leaving the airport and going back again you'll have to go through customs again so that all takes time. You'll hopefully have your boarding passes for the flight to cape town but your 8 hrs will be reduced to 6 or 5 by the time you calculate customs. Then it takes about an hour on the tube to get to central London and back again (from what I can remember) maybe a bit shorter, so that leaves you with about 3-4 hours. Luigi Have you been to London before? If not why dont you just take the tube to the centre of London and walk around. Piccadilly Circus or Oxford Circus, Regent Road. Not sure if Windsor is doable. Dont have a map nor a tube map in front of me - maybe1 of the Brits can advise you.