We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

Hi! We're planning our inaugural trip to South Africa/Victoria Falls including 3 full days in Capetown over Easter this coming April (arrive Wednesday evening from Madikwe; depart very early Sunday for Victoria Falls). I've already realized we will not experience all Cape Town has to offer.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Thursday (Thurs/Fri could be reversed): Table Mountain/Kirstenbosch Gardens/maybe Camps Bay for dinner???

Friday: Cape of Good Hope including light house/Cape Point/tidal pools at Bordjiesdrif. Then also Kalk Bay/Boulders Beach/Simon Town/Muizenburg (Bluebird Garage Market on Friday night?)

Saturday: early morning Bo Kaap for photos/Biscuit Mill Saturday Markets/V&A waterfront/nice dinner/early evening because of early Sunday AM flight

I understand the scenery is stunning towards Froenschoek/Stellenbosch/Paarl, and indeed, if we find ourselves with a block of unoccupied time, it will be the first "filler" we attempt. However, given that the kids can't partake of the wineries, and hubby and I aren't wine connoisseurs, I'm afraid the other planned activities will have to incorporate the sampling of local wines!

So my requests:

Location for stay: if we were to stay at the Chartfield Guesthouse in Kalk Bay, is it a very horrible (greater than 30 minutes) into Table Mountain/Bo Kaap/airport early in the mornings? Should we stay closer to airport Saturday night? Again, traveling with the tweens, we won't be partying/dancing the night away: as long as we've got a few dining options and a quiet characterful abode to retire to we'll enjoy ourselves. Other thoughts after reading what I think will be a good blend of activities for our family's needs?

I'm far from a great photographer, but I do fancy optimal lighting for Bo Kaap and the Muizenburg beach huts. (I know some people might think these silly priorities, but to each their own, right?). Can those of you experienced in these locations tell me when the best lighting/orientatation of these features are? Are there other beaches with the colorful beach shacks? If so where, and again, when is optimal lighting?

Many thanks in advance!

Bobbi P

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

Bobbi P

So little time and so much to see! I am assuming that you are self driving with this itinerary?

I'm not sure that Kalk Bay is he right place to stay for such a short stay and the itinerary you have outlined. I think you need to be near the city centre.

As far as I know Muizenburg is the only place with these huts. I am just an amateur snapper but I have great photos of both Muizenburg and Bo Kaap - but sorry no idea about the lighting!

Kirstenbosch gardens is also another place where I have taken amazing photos in the past

My only comment would be to watch the forecast - 'Im sure you wouldn't want to take this photos in the rain?

Lisa

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

I think it would take at least 40 mins to get to TM or the airport from here, 20 mins to Kirstenbosch, 30 mins to Stellenbosch. Great scenery across False Bay, Boyes Drive in particular.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

It will take you a LOT LONGER than Braai season has suggested because there are roadworks in Kalk Bay which have been going on for more than a year. So you can be stuck stationery for 30 min. so Kalk Bay is really not a good idea. On a day when there is NO traffic at all it can take you 45 minutes to get there so dont suggest Kalk Bay. Muizemberg is the only place with those beach huts. THeyre not as glam as they were in the "good old days". Have no clue either about the time of day to take photos nor for Bo Kaap. Youre trying to get too much accomplished per day. Dont think you will fit it all in. You could however do the Bo Kaap photos on the day you go to Table Mountain as its en route. If youre going out to Kirstenbosch you might want to have dinner out in the Constantia / Newlands area. Excuse my ignorance but what is the Bluebird Garage Market? The biscuit mill is very nice on a saturday morning but get there early because it becomes very crowded. You could fit in something else on the saturday afternoon. Dont really like your itinerary but I'll leave it to the "tour guides" who are on this forum to comment more. Youre doing much too much on Friday and not so much on the other days. Perhaps you could even go to Muizemberg after Kirstenbosch as you are halfway there or you could do it in reverse. Go to Muizemberg /Kalk Bay first, then come back via Kirstenbosch and go up the cablecar in the late afternoon early evening and watch the sunset from Table Mountain and then go to the Waterfront for dinner.

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

Thanks for the inputs! Especially regarding road works in Kalk Bay... We really aren't a "stay in the middle of the action" kind of family. We'd prefer sleepy neighborhood with good eats, etc. The Blue Bird market in Muizenburg was written up in one of my guidebooks as a Friday night market with live music. I'm going to have to have a closer look at the maps: never would have guessed Bo Kaap on way to Table Mountain.

Happy to have any suggestions on the rearrangement of itinerary! It's hard to get an idea of traffic/distances by trying to piece together various regional maps in guide books/online. Guess I better plot all points of interest on Google Maps and re-shuffle! I have a feeling I'll definitely be surprised by the topography! (e.g. if the botanic gardens "are at the base" of Table Mountain, is it the same side we'll be using to access the lift?)

Thanks for all the inputs! I'll recombobulate and post new revisions as I can!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

If you are planning to be in CT over the Easter weekend itself, do just confirm that places you want to visit on the Friday will be open. Outdoor attractions should be fine but for markets etc it may be advisable to check.

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

Thanks Auntie! Yes, hoping not too much touristy will be closed Friday and/or Saturday, but another good reason maybe to plan the Cape trek for Friday?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

Be aware of the following road closures on the Saturday 19th April.

twooceansmarathon.org.za/information/road-cl…

twooceansmarathon.org.za/information/road-cl…

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

Why dont you look at Hout Bay. Its not that touristy but its certainly not as far as Kalk Bay for sure.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

The beach huts (the famous ones) are actually in St. James, which is right next to Kalk Bay.

Just came back from there, took a photo of them ;-)

https:/…jp-carousel-3068

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay with outdoorsy "Tweens?"/Itinerary suggestions

I heard the road works where completed last year or is that a new set of works ????