We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

petrol price

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
petrol price

I understand we will need to pay for petrol with cash in most places.

What is the current price per litre and how much to fill a small/medium size car. We don't want to carry more cash than necessary. Can someone please advise?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: petrol price

CC fine now for petrol Eileen last trip no problem. Just have Rands for tips for the garage guys /women who are great

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: petrol price

Wow, that was quick.

Thank you. I did know about tipping but, on that subject, what should we leave each night for maid service in hotels?

I think we'll carry some emergency cash in case we get the only petrol station that doesn't take plastic.

Edited: 7:10 am, December 28, 2013
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: petrol price

99 % of all garages in South Africa will have credit card facilities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: petrol price

Well the petrol stations have chaps who direct you to the bay to fill tank and is chaotic at times but just be your own boss so to speak or a confrontation with the confusion will ensue lol in the busy ones. The garage staff wash windscreens even tyres then take cash or CC to the main desk to pay and return .I at first refused to do ,even contemplate such a thing but last 2 trips over 11,000 kms total throughout SA not 1 problem. Do not be scared just common sense like anyplace. Price of petrol now I can’t say as it has risen since I was there a few months ago. I always have emergency cash but not a lot, say approx. AUD 300. It’s easy to access ATMs with CC or debit and most petrol stations have. Re tipping that was my biggest nightmare given we don’t tip here mostly as wages are high. I recall at 1 lodge in greater Kruger ( not cheap ) 5 of us who there were handed a guide on tipping for guests spent 1 hour working out and to be honest it took the shine off said establishment when we calculated it was over 30% pp. per day gratuities. Am loathe to state a figure tips wise as I may be accused of miser or extravagant show off so I shall politely duck shove that ?.... others may dive in

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: petrol price

For maids, something between R20-R50 per room per night is what we experience, if you are happy with the service. (We also see that people think the higher the rate, the higher the tip should be. I strongly disagree)

Our girls are happy about each Rand they get, so don't feel bad about what you give.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 8:32 am, December 28, 2013
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: petrol price

At the moment the fuel price is about 1.00 euro per litre, but is increasing all the time (it's gone up about 50% in the past year, but I'm sure someone will correct this percentage for me LOL!). It costs around R600-R800 to fill an average car.

Tips at service stations usually range from about R5.00 for basic service to R10.00 for extra special service, and I agree with Abangane on his take on tipping housekeeping staff. If you search "tipping" on the SA forum, you'll find lots of great advice, so you really don't have to stress about the "tipping" angle.

Most filling stations take credit cards these days, but some (very few) don't (and sometimes don't take international credit cards, particularly off the beaten track or in more remote towns). They are sometimes off-line. It's helpful to carry some extra cash on you. If you draw cash at an ATM at a filling station, preferably use one where there is some kind of security and take standard precautions (don't rely on being able to draw in smaller towns, and particularly on weekends and around month-end).

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: petrol price

Eileen

A bit more on the petrol price. As you probably know the petrol price is set nationally. The change happens on the first Wednesday of each month. For petrol there are only two prices. The "Coastal" region (Cape Town and I think all the areas you will be visiting) and "Inland" which is always about 40c per litre more expensive. (transport/pipeline costs?).

Next Wednesday the price will increase to R13.20 from R12.82. This is a significant increase for locals and takes it (just) to the highest level yet. However for visitors from overseas this is more or less irrelevant. The biggest factor in the monthly petrol price calculation is the Rand/Dollar exchange rate. So when the rate (and the Pound Rate) goes up the petrol price increases but visitors get more Rand for their Pounds or Dollars and hence the price to them stays the same (or currently actually decreases).

At today's rate to the pound (17.34) the new petrol price will be 76p per litre. A year ago the petrol price was R11.51 but the Pound rate was 13.74 so cost to you would have been 84p per litre - good for you!!

A couple of other points. At least here in the Cape nearly all petrol stations use hand held Credit Card terminals - like a restaurant. They bring the terminal to your car, you give them your card and put in your PIN. Never, ever had an issue. However remember that in rural areas the filling station may not have Credit Card facilities and so you might need cash. Obviously, as others say, like at home you should always carry some cash with you for all sorts of things. Including getting petrol at stations where they don't have Card facilities - or if their computer is down - quick lunches and coffees and hundreds of other things. This is especially true if you have a card from a bank which adds a fixed fee to every overseas Card transaction. Up to you how much you carry but up to R1,000 seems reasonable. A small saloon fill up is going to cost you around R600.

At the filling station normal tips are around R4 for just fuel fill. Say R6 if you get all your windows cleaned. Maybe a couple of rand more if you have all your tyres checked and topped up. If two guys do the job just tip one - they will split all tips anyway. A smile and a kind word also goes a long way.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: petrol price

Thank you, Van de Caab as usual your comments are very informative.

As for the smile and kind word, I always try to treat everyone as I would like to be treated myself and it usually has a very positive effect.

I came from a poor background and know how it feels to be "looked down on". I have the greatest respect for anyone who works for a living, however humble and it is often I who ends up feeling humble,

Edited: 10:09 am, December 28, 2013
Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: petrol price

Me again,

By the way, the petrol price is ridiculously cheap compared with UK AND we have to fill our own cars, often in lousy weather so I will be most appreciative of the people who relieve me of that task.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: petrol price

And as I said post 1 the petrol guys / women are great,have a chat with them and yes a smile and kind words and local info is freely given. I must relate an embarrassing snippet lol the first time had to fill tank in Avis Toyota Fortuner had no clue where tank open lever was and god bless the woman..Madam I know this lever opens the tank... you have opened the rear but I wont tell the man ..it is this one ( points) ~~~~