We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private game reserve for 1 night stay

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Private game reserve for 1 night stay

Looking for a recommendation for an overnight stay within 3-4 hr drive of Cape Town? Would like to be able to do an evening and a morning drive. There are a few I am looking at but would like to find one that is the most natural ( as natural as you can be on a reserve).

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

You could try the Garden Route Game Lodge - see http://www.grgamelodge.co.za/ it is a small private reserve about 3 to 4 hrs from Cape Town

Alternatively Aquila Private Game Reserve - http://www.aquilasafari.com/

However, you should keep in mind that there are no major game reserves close to Cape Town - only small privately owned game reserves that offer the opportunity to do game drives to see wildlife that has been imported from its natural habitat.

Ideally, if you have the time, you should visit the major game reserves in the North of the Country to view wildlife in their natural habitat.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

Just a note. The south western cape used to have game before 1652. The current game reserves are re- introducing these species in remnants of natural areas. The Karoo National park (4 hours) is an excellent option. They have recently reintroduced lion after they gone extinct in this area. Also have a fossil trail. Beautiful landscape and good campsite if the chalets are bit pricy for your budget. Www.sanparks.org

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

Neither Aquila nor Garden Route Game Lodge are the most "natural" reserves - they are too small and it's just not South Africa's best safari area. I agree with Skimkat, the Karoo National Park is a bit more natural and worth a visit, even though you will not be able to see the Big Five there (no elephants, for example). Another decent size Big Five reserve about 3 hours from Cape Town is Inverdoorn, this is also worth a look.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
109 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

My group and I enjoyed Aquila immensely. Great service, nice people, rustic cabins and good food. I would do it again.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

I second the suggestion for an overnight at Inverdoorn Private Game Reserve. They are the biggest of all the Game Reserve close to Cape Town of the ones mentioned and worth looking into. Proper experience in terms in game drives and the guys is fantastic. Other options that you have which is bigger than Inverdoorn is Sanbona Private Game Reserve. They are also about 3-4hrs drive from Cape Town but, i would suggest to stay at least 2nights, where you can experience 4 game drives. That is how much min you need to cover over 45000ha.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

Thanks all. Have decided on Sanbona although only for 1 night but hope to get some good views in. It looks beautiful.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

Make sure to get to the welcome lounge at the requested arrival time, they are very strict on that. Because you will park your vehicle their and make use of their vehicles to get to your lodge. Excellent choice, enjoy and have loads of fun!!

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

Thanks for the heads up! Cannot wait for this!

9. Re: Private game reserve for 1 night stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2015