We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

Bolligen...
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

Hi There,

My husband and I will be landing on a Monday in Cape Town at 3pm. We plan on spending time (Monday through Saturday) in Cape Town, driving the garden route, then (Sunday through Wednesday) doing a Safari in Shamwari, then (Wednesday) flying out of PE to Joberg.

However, I'm overwhelmed by all the places to see in Cape Town & the Garden Route.

We aren't wine-drinkers and we will be traveling in November, so would love any input you may have.

THANK YOU

1. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, October 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,529 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

I had clients at Kanonkop House in Knysna for several days - they raved about it. Owners were helpful hosts and the suites they had were quite lovely. Remember as you plan, that there are no gardens on the Garden Route. Interesting activities, for sure. But long after you leave Cape Town, you will be driving by huge grain farms and then some light desert-ish land with aloe farms and shops. Finally, when you reach Wilderness, you will enjoy the rolling and sometimes forested land from there onward.

Edited: 5:18 am, October 14, 2013
Bolligen...
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

Hello Sue! Thanks so much for your help!

So, here's the plan: We will get into Cape Town on Monday from JFK at 3pm. We will then spend Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night. On Friday, we will leave on the Garden Route, spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday along the Garden Route. Then Sunday morning, we need to get up and drive to Shamwari for our 3 day safari. Please let us know what you think of this plan.

Additionally, below is what I've learned so far as places I should/want to visit:

- I think I would love to check out Oudtshoorn for the Cango Caves and Ostrich Farm

- Franschhoek I hear is amazing, even if you don't drink wine

- Kynsa

- Plettensberg

- Hermanus

- Mossel Bay

Would love ANY thoughts you may have.

THANK YOU

4. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, October 14, 2013
Edited: 12:05 pm, October 14, 2013
Bolligen...
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This is WONDERFUL! I do have a couple of questions - do you think 3 days is too long for the garden route? Our option is to do it with 2 night stops, or 3 night stops along the garden route. What do you think? And where would you suggest we spend the night?

Cape Town, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

It's my pleasure! It will depend on how hectic you want it to be. 2 nights, 3 days should be enough. But if you want to chill on the beach, maybe 3 nights. One day just to drive to Hermanus then activities on Oudtshoorn. One day for the animal parks in Knysna. One last day to bungee jump, big tree, zip lining. And if you can stay one more day to visit Knysna waterfront and lagoon properly and chill on the beach in Plettenberg.

Kind regards,

Camila

Cape Town, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

Knysna is a good base to stay as it's very close to most of the activities and only 20 min from plettenberg. There are several guest houses, stay close to town. Or you can stay in Plettenberg in front of the beach :)

8. Re: Itinerary Help Please - Cape Town, Garden Route, Shamwari

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 16, 2014