We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

My husband and I will be in Cape Town in September arriving afternoon of the 5th. I will have 4 full days after that. We will be renting a car.

I want to spend a full day for the winelands (Franschhoek Pass) maybe stopping by Postberg Nature Preserve, a weekend market and Langebaan

one full day at Boulder Beach (penguins), SimonsTown, Kalk Bay / False Bay

That leaves me with 2- 2 1/2 days for the following:

Table Mountain

Botanical Gardens

V & A Waterfront

Robben Isaland

Cape Pt / Cape Good Hope ???

Hop on hop off bus ??

exploring Long and Kloof Street and other areas around CT

Hout Bay

Langa Township??

Any suggestions on how to group these??

Any ideas for something off the beaten path

that I could include?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

We will leave for Mala Mala after Capetown.

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,647 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

brencara

Here is trip list of our personal favorite attractions in Cape Town if interrested.

Cape Town Top Attractions (Our Top Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow…

This might be a look in addition to your planning.

You have a nice list of attractions to see but this will take some planning and places like Table Mountain and Kirstenbosch can take some time to visit. Also, the Cape Point/Cape Peninsula trip will take the better part of a day.

You can use the HOHO bus, which has two lines (Red and Blue) to make stops at Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and Hout Bay but you need to be familiar with the stops for each line. Here are the schedule from their website.

HOHO Schedule.

http://www.citysightseeing.co.za/capeTown.php

Also the Cape Peninsula trip usually include stops at Hout Bay so you may want to skip this on the HOHO day. You can definitely go down to the V&A waterfront, Long street (restaurants and bars) or Kloof in the evening after a Cape Point/Cape Peninsula tour.

Hope this is useful and that you enjoy your stay in Cape Town.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

hi BradJill:

That is one of the best, most organized responses that I have ever seen.

I will have a rental car for the whole stay -

I was wondering if the following will work or would you make any changes:

Day 1 - arrive Twelve Apostles Hotel - maybe check out the waterfront

Day 2 -winelands, franschoek pass, postberg nature reserve, weekend market, possibly langebaan

Day 3 - Cape Point, Cape of good hope, chapmans peak drive, simon town, boulder creek, houts bay/seal island (I am a little confused here - is cape of good hope - nature reserve and table mountain national park

different things?)

Day 4 -Table mountain, walk along Long Street, Kirsheenb botanical gardens, acquarium

Day 5 - considering robbens island and township of langa. i might give up part of this day if i didnt get to the other places on my list.

What do you think???

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,647 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

In principle, it looks ok to me. Local experts will know of developments that might warrant alterations of this plan. I couple of thoughts.

>>>Day 2 -winelands, franschoek pass, postberg nature reserve, weekend market, possibly langebaan<<<

Are you planning to self-drive? There are quite a few private drivers and wine tours that are quite affordable if the designated driver is wanting to do some tasting as well. Local hotels, tour agents can point you in the right direction. Might be able to find some recommended names by searching this forum as well.

>>>Day 3 - Cape Point, Cape of good hope, chapmans peak drive, simon town, boulder creek, houts bay/seal island (I am a little confused here - is cape of good hope - nature reserve and table mountain national park different things?)<<<

We've made a similar self-drive of the Cape Point, seeing the same list of attractions you've listed above. And Yes, the Cape Point belongs to the Table Mountain National Park. See this helpful link from the SANSparks for clarification.

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/

Mind you, while we have enjoyed the self-drive experience, we have also enjoyed using a small company called daytrippers a couple of other times, finding this an equally enjoyable way to see the list of attractions above (see link).

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

The only difference is that they didn't take in St. James beach (see link)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

which has the very colourful beach houses. We saw this on a self-drive Cape Peninsula day trip.

>>>Day 4 -Table mountain, walk along Long Street, Kirsheenb botanical gardens, acquarium<<<<

Why not? Are you planning to climb Table Mountain or take the cable car. If you want to combine the aquarium at V&A waterfront and Kirstenbosch, which is on the other side of Table Mountain and is well warranting of several hours to explore to the Table Mountain/Long Street experience, you'll need some planning.

Perhaps see Kirstenbosch in the morning then transport to the base to Table Mountain, cable car up/down. Then you can walk to the V&A Waterfront, its a fun walk that can take you along Kloof if you map your route right. Have a late lunch at the very good restaurant called Arnolds there. Then walk down Long Street for a drink at a bar, onward to V&A Waterfront if you have the leg strength, or taxi - won't cost much, and visit the Aquarium in the late to mid afternoon. Not sure the opening hours, best to check this online.

Hope this is helpful.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

The first thing that i have noticed is that you want to do Franshcoek Mountain Pass and also Postberg Nature Reserve. These 2 places are very much not in the same direction. The one is north and the other east which you will not be able to do within 1 full day. Have a look at this schedule for your stay:

Day 01: late arrival and check in at the Twelve Apostles, for the afternoon go the Waterfront with the shuttle for the hotel and walk around there, also maybe enjoy a great dinner on the pier.

Day 02: Pre-book your tickets for Robbin Island, book it now already so that you are secure about seaton the boat. Do a 9am boat trip and you will be back in the Waterfront by about 12midday. After that you can make use of the Hop on Hop off bus, www.citysightseeing.co.za and also maybe make your way to Table Mountain for the afternoon. You can make use of the stop in Camps Bay and then have late dinner there and just get a cab back to the Hotel, only a 10min drive.

Day 3: you can visit the Postberg Nature Reserve which is link to the West Coast National Park on the West Coast. This drive is about a 2hr drive from Camps Bay and you can leave as early as 8:30am from the Hotel. If you are into flowers, then make sure that you take your camera with and enjoy the wildlife too. For lunch you can stop at Geelbek Restaurant and also make a turn on the lagoon with some Flamingo's around.

Day 4: For this day you can do the Cape Point Route with visits to Cape of Good Hope, the Penguins at Bolders Beach, Simons Town, Muizenberg, Kalk Bay(which are very good for fish and chips), Cape Point Ostrich Farm, Noord Hoek, Chapmans peak Drive and also Houtbay. I would suggest that you start your journey on this day clock wise. Start from the Hotel, drive through the City and head down on the M3 and start with Muizenberg first. This way, you will nicely finish back at your hotel on route back.

Day 5: For this day, you can visit the Wine Lands, with visits to Stellenbosch, Franschoek and also Paarl. Just keep in mind and remember, no drinking and driving policy are very big in place in Cape Town and especially on the Wine Lands. Cops are sometimes not so nice there then what they are in the City.

Hope it helps with your planning

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

If you are looking for something a bit different and unusual then take a look at this website http://www.coffeebeansroutes.com/.

Regards

Michelle - Owner - Cape Town Guide

Cape Town
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

I agree with Hank D above..his advice makes the most sense... the trick is to allow enough time to relax and take in the sights as well...don't try to cram toooo much into one day! Also, many activities like the Cable Car up Table Mountain are weather-dependent so you have to be flexible and have some back-up plans..

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

Agree with Hank to !

If you've time whilst at Table Mountain pop across to Signal Hill.

8. Re: Need help organizing my time in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 27, 2014