We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EUROPCAR Car rental. CPT Airport.

Stowmarket
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
EUROPCAR Car rental. CPT Airport.

I would like to sound a warning to prospective car rental customers visiting Cape Town.

As a regular traveller in Europe, United States and South Africa (11 visits to SA in recent years) I have some experience in renting hire cars. It is important to remember to return vehicle with a full tank of fuel if this is part of the agreement.

Customers to Europcar will be advised by signs at check in that a refuelling charge will be levied if tank is not returned 'full'. I was not unduly concerned at the notice as it has always been my practice to fill tank on return.

This is my WARNING: I refuelled my rental car at BP station adjacent to CPT Airport. It is about 800 meters to the rental location. Despite this a refuelling charge was made. This is the first time that I have been levied a charge when returning with a full tank. (Anyone with experience of South African attendants will verify if you ask for a 'fill up' the tank will be full to the brim)

It is possible therefor that Europcar are removing cars to a remote location in order to valet vehicles and charging renter for the fuel used.

As mentioned this is the first time such a charge has been levied and as such I am not likely to use EUROPCAR in future.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EUROPCAR Car rental. CPT Airport.

Yes, al the companies in CPT are doing this scam!!! Just send them your last refulling slip of BP airport and they just refund you. We had this too, but got the money back, by sending the fuel slip to them as proof !!! We had a car by Avis.

They just try!!!!

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EUROPCAR Car rental. CPT Airport.

Hertz tried this when we returned the hire car in January! Got it refunded within a few days when we complained.

They did ask for the final fuel receipt but misplaced it.

Next time I am going to take a photo of the level of the fuel tank when the car is returned just as back up!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EUROPCAR Car rental. CPT Airport.

This is crazy- I have never heard of such a thing. Perhaps next time when one hands it back you need to immediately give your rec eipt for the petrol although I never get a receipt as its on the account. I cant believe that all the Companies are doing it. Perhaps it needs to be reported to the Cape Town Tourism Authority.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EUROPCAR Car rental. CPT Airport.

O yes it is happening, believe me! It happed to us at least 1,5 year afo already!

Edited: 3:16 pm, April 07, 2013
5. Re: EUROPCAR Car rental. CPT Airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 09, 2014