We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

I am planning a visit to Western Cape in Sept last week / October 1st week this year along with my wife &12yr son. I intend to fly from Jo'burg to George and hire a car from George Airport for a 6 day Garden Route drive to Plettenberg, Knysna, Oudtshoon, Hermanus & then spend 3days in Cape Town. (3 nights in Hermanus)

I am looking forward to advice on

1. Whether I should prebook my rental car or is it better to hire a car on arrival at the airport - this is in terms of getting a good quality car / good pricing deal / choice if cars.

2. Also, are the cars / options available on direct booking?

3. What are best recommended car hire companies (I know there are lot of recommendations on the forum but mostly for european travellers prebooking from UK. Am travelling from India)

Am also open to any suggestions on the itinery. Thanks in advance.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

George is a small airport so the no and availability of cars will be limited. Therefore I suggest that you prebook. You can book online with most of the major car hire agencies.

You could try www.thrifty.co.za

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

We're doing a very similar journey two weeks earlier than you.

I've generally found that better rates are available pre-booking. In fact, not only pre-booking, but pre-paying. Certainly, if you want a specific car type, I wouldn't just rock up at the airport on the day. I booked a couple of months ago and some car types were already showing as been low in availability. I also noticed that even for pre-paid, the prices varied week to week. So it's worth monitoring prices on the car group you're interested in before booking.

The carhire websites show the types of cars available. No guarantees are made on the make and model, just on the broad features and size.

All of the usual carhire companies are represented at George and there's little to differentiate them normally.

As for itinerary, we are starting off by driving up to Oudtshoorn then we're basing ourselves in The Crags, 20kms east of Plett, for a few days then to Hermanus area then to Cape Town.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

Thanks madaboutwine. Will keep that in mind. Guess prebooking seems a better option.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

Thanks Sandsy40. Seems you have already done good research on the car rentals. Can you recommend any Car Rental cos / SA local websites.

SA
Level Contributor
54 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

I would pre-book especially if you are flying in to George. Avis and First Car rental are always my choice but they are all reputable and reliable.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

Thanks SaLouise. This helps. Have decided to Prebook based on feedbacks

Just one more question in my mind. Even if I prebook, George being a small town with limited options, I hope I would not have to compromise on the car quality

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

Hi, I did research which was offering cheapest and found www.hertz.co.za had the best rates and package. Go on international visitor and check it out.

Also you should consider staying less nights in Hermanus and more in Cape Town.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

Thanks Kavita. The stay of 3 nights and 2 days in Hermanus is mainly for the Shark dive and whale watching instead of making a trip back again from Cape Town.

Have you already traveled to Cape Town? I would be keen to know if one can drive in SA with a valid Indian driving license or would I need to get an International driving license.

Any other tips would be welcome.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

For shark dive and whale watching 1 day is enough. Max 2 days. Cape Town has lot more to offer. We stayed a night in Hermanus and did shark cage diving.

Yes, I visited Africa recently. We did not drive, but it is always safer to take International license, it is very easy to get, so better be safe.

10. Re: Car Rental - George to CT (Advance Book?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014