We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
159 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
first time

Hello!!

im planning to visi cape town end of feb , i have no info about anything at all , so for now i'm wondering about the hotels

does the location really matter if its near the port or not?

i'm between One&Only African Pride Crystal Towers Hotel & Spa

The Table Bay Hotel

Cape Grace

and still looking for more hotels till i found something i really like "KINDA PICKY"

also guys what is the traditional food over there? and restaurants recommendation ?

local places no tourist please,

PS : my trip 3 days ONLY

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time

Hi,

One & Only is good, but I prefer the Cape Grace. It has a more intimate, luxurious feel to it in my opinion.

The Table Bay is also good,but like the One & Only it is a large hotel. All of these hotels have a good setting.

The Crystal Towers is out of town and just near a shopping centre. There is no view to speak of and nowhere to walk at night - except the shopping centre. It would not be my choice.

The other hotels are in the Waterfront , which offers a huge range of activities and restaurants to choose from. It is a much better setting.

There are a number of great restaurants to recommend- what type of dining- casual - gourmet ? Beluga is good, also at the Waterfront Sevruga. La Colombe in Constantia is fabulous, but is a little way out of town.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 6:23 am, December 04, 2012
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time

The Cape grace is a beautiful hotel we visited it a month ago so that would be my choice.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time

Cape Grace is a beautiful hotel and the location is perfect. You can reach shops, restaurants, etc within walking distance and the Waterfront can easily be reached with the hotels shuttle.

There are plenty of superb restaurants in Cape Town depending on your taste. Best Italien restaurant is "95 Keerom Street", The "Savoy Cabbage" is great for contemporary food and is in an exciting venue. Sevruga is great for seafood, sushi, etc. Mama Africa is an option if you are looking for something more traditional - they also have live music.

Have Fun

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time

I will also settle for the Cape Grace which puts it very central and within easy reach of shops and restaurants. I agree with Michelle's suggestions for restaurants as well and they are good too.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time

The Cape Grace is great, but if you want something a bit more exclusive, and less touristy, look at Ellerman House and Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa.

They are luxurious and exclusive.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
5,644 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time

Hello Spoow

You'll love Cape Town. Here is a trip list with some of our very favorite attractions, things to do and some eat options as well. Have a look if useful in helping you plan your time in the city.

Cape Town (Our Top Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow…

Have a great time in the Cape.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
159 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time

thank you all !!! i really appreciate , the problem with Cape Grace its sooo classic for me ,,,,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time

If you want a real local favourite place to eat, and you're in the Kalk bay/ St James area, go to The Brass Bell. I grew up in the area, and while I no longer live there, I know it's still a favourite amongst all my family and friends in South Africa (not just Cape Town).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time

Oh, as far as the "traditional" food goes:

South Africa is a British colony, so it's mostly European, but there is still a lot of African and Boer foods around that are commonly eaten. Mielie Meal is a favourite of mine (made as pap in particular), and is known as the "food of the poor", as it is so abundant, cheap and versatile. That one's an african food. Popular treats/ desserts are koeksisters and milktart, which is Afrikaans. Then there are the spiced, dried meats: boerewors, biltong etc. And the national tea: rooibos! There are others, but these are the most common.

I'm not sure if you realise, but Cape Town has a large Muslim community, and so there are a lot of foods there that you will be familiar with from Kuwait, like Samoosas (NZ only has those terrible, tiny frozen versions that just are not the same!). CT fleamarkets have heaps of stalls with this sort of food.

Enjoy beautiful Cape Town. There is an abundance of large, majestic mountains there, so make use of them, by going on hikes, or taking drives for scenic views - Boyes drive is a common one. Oh, and Tokai Forest is a popular place to go for walks and "braais" (BBQs) amongst locals - though it has become over run by Baboons a bit in the last few years. I guess that's some baboon sightseeing for you then! (Just don't take them lightly, they are very dangerous)

Edited: 5:39 am, December 08, 2012
10. Re: first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:31 am, March 11, 2013