We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for 5 days in Capetown Area

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
What to do for 5 days in Capetown Area

I will be in Capetown in November this year and have 3 nights booked in Capetown and two nights not booked anywhere yet as I was thinking of renting a car and exploring a bit.

Where should I go for those two days and it is still safe for a single woman to travel alone in a car in this area.

I love hiking-plan to do Table Mountain the three days I am in CapeTown-but if there are other hikes, spectacular vistas, wine country? I have seen some advice on forums but most are dated, not sure it is still accurate in 2012

Thanks in advance for your replies

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do for 5 days in Capetown Area

Hi Beenee,

There have been lots of posts as to what to do in Cape Town and they are not dated as the landscape doesn't change. Here are some suggestions:

1. Table Mountain - you can certainly hike and there are various routes.

2. Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve (day tour) - a beautiful scenic route via Chapman's Peak. You need a car and it is quite safe to drive on your own.

3. Hop on Hop Off Bus (Red Bus) - Blue Route. Visit Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Hout Bay Harbour, Camps Bay, Sea Point, Waterfront.

4. Tour of Winelands - Constantia and Stellenbosch/Franschhoek. Recommend a day tour to the latter. You can explore Constantia Wine Route on your own.

5. Day tour to Hermanus/De Kelders via Clarens Drive (Gordon's Bay, Kleinmond etc.). Visit Harold Porter Botanical Garden in Betty's Bay - lovely area in which to hike and visit waterfalls.

You may wish to spend a night in Hermanus - there are several excellent Bed and Breakfasts. If you are interested in shark cage diving, this takes place near Gansbaai which is en route to de Kelders.

6. Visit to Robben Island.

So, as you can see, three nights in Cape Town is hardly enough.

Edited: 9:41 pm, September 03, 2012
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do for 5 days in Capetown Area

A very detailed and good way to described what to do in Cape Town, and 5days might or might not be enough. You can however get yourself a rental car and explore the City and the surrounds.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,289 posts
5,512 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do for 5 days in Capetown Area

See my post (5.) to the following thread with some attractions that we enjoyed. Several already included in the list above. Plenty to keep you busy in the Cape.

tripadvisor.com/…42205596

Have a nice trip to Cape Town.

4. Re: What to do for 5 days in Capetown Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:45 am, September 27, 2012
5. Re: What to do for 5 days in Capetown Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 04, 2013