We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Main Road, Sea Point?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
Main Road, Sea Point?

Is this a safe area to walk around day or night? After hearing quite a few horror stories over the last few days we are starting to have doubts about our original hotel choice (Park Inn Foreshore) so are looking at other places.

10 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
653 reviews
306 helpful votes
1. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

I’m always careful walking around at night and as a rule I don’t usually do it. It also depends which end of Sea Point. For me, the Sea Point area is much more attractive than the Foreshore.

The Foreshore is very quiet after 6pm and I wouldn’t walk around there at night.

Level Contributor
327 posts
2. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

No contest in my opinion. Sea Point over Foreshore. But not necessarily Main Road, Sea Point. Which Hotel are you looking at there? Beach Road, Sea Point or anywhere between Beach Road and Main Road would be a better option. The President, The Penninsula, Winchester Mansions, There a couple of Protea Hotels also, or perhaps Le Vendome come to mind. Mouille Point also has a few options such as the Raddison or perhaps the Waterfront area.

Edited: 8:08 am, May 14, 2019
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

We're looking at the Le Vendome. Is that part of Main Road ok to walk around at night to restaurants and bars?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
653 reviews
306 helpful votes
4. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

There are not lots of restaurants and bars in that area, so maybe a longer walk to say the waterfront

But as I have said above, I would not walk around these/any areas after dark. You are probably ok but it’s still to risky for me.

I have visited Cape Town over 20 times, and once it’s dark, I take a taxi or Uber. Why put yourself at any risk?

During the day, absolutely no problem. I’ve walked many times around Sea Point on Beach and Main Roads

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
65 reviews
80 helpful votes
5. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

Anxiety is an unwelcome feeling when we are in a strange place.

If you are there on Main Road and are counting the moments till you reach wherever-you-are-going, then walking around isn't as good an idea as Uber, or something such as that.

If you look at that area on the street view feature that Google Maps offers, you will see - and perhaps be a little surprised to see - the predominance of faceless apartment buildings.

Block after block.

In my opinion, it would be easy to be uncomfortable. Quickly.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

We stayed at the Raddison Blu Le Vendome last month - it is an older hotel, but had the best breakfasts we had during our stay in South Africa and the cost of the hotel was one of the cheapest we stayed at. The walk into the V & A Waterfront is about 45 minutes - we did it one morning and it was fine. The hotel has a courtesy bus that runs every hour into the Waterfront from 9am to 10pm i think which was great. The hotel is situated on a quiet street. At the end of the street towards a main road there are a few people that have taken up residency which was a bit confronting. We did walk to a restaurant one night La Boheme ( 3 minutes from hotel) which was lovely. We also dropped off some washing to a laundry one night - i wouldn't feel comfortable walking alone at night and just be aware of your surroundings. You will love it.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
179 reviews
94 helpful votes
7. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

Le Vendome is situated between the Beach and Main Roads. If youre coming during the winter months I would not recommend walking along the main road or beach road at night. During the day is perfectly fine. If its summertime, its not a problem. Its definitely a better bet than the foreshore and near to restaurants. You can always uber around. It will cost you next to nothing when you convert your British Pounds to Rands.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

Thanks for the replies, we're going to be there over new year for the test match. Was hoping we would be able to walk out of the hotel of an evening to a restaurant and maybe a bar in the local area, the hotel puts on the shuttle to the V&A.

Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
941 posts
131 reviews
56 helpful votes
9. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

Another vote for the Radisson Is Vendome....you won't be sorry...great location,wonderful breakfast and a free shuttle bus to V&A....we went out to dinner every night and walked to many restaurants close by....this is a safe neighborhood....

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
179 reviews
94 helpful votes
10. Re: Main Road, Sea Point?

If youre coming around New Year then walking around especially on the beachfront as opposed to the Main Road should not be too much of a problem. Plenty of people out and about. You could walk TO the restaurant and take an Uber back IF its a bit far away but there are some good restaurants right near the hotel - Sea Grill, La Boheme and Mykonos to name but 3 - only one road a way and you could walk there and back.

Reply to: Main Road, Sea Point?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted