We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town Safety?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Cape Town Safety?

Hi all-

My wife and I are planning a visit to Cape Town next month (Sept. 2018) and I am becoming increasingly concerned about safety. The US, UK and Canada all have travel advisories. Crime appears to be very high and, with the ongoing drought, things only seem to be getting worse.

Should I consider cancelling?

thanks

Max

18 replies to this topic
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Cape Town Safety?

when I was looking for an area in which to stay later this year in San. Fran. I came across this report, enough to scare off tourists. /www.sfgate.com/local/article/is-san-francisco-dangerous-visit-sf-safe-crime-12995294.php

As in your home town ,there are 'bad' areas in CT but not where tourists usually stay, whereas, I was given the impression that 'bad' areas such as Tenderloin are very much near where tourists stay. I have never felt 'unsafe' in the thousands of miles covered in SA.

I believe the water restrictions are still in force, but in December they were only a minor inconvenience .

Please don't consider cancelling you holiday based on perceived dangerous crime on tourists and the water restrictions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Cape Town Safety?

Thanks for the reply.

We are normally pretty adventurous but some of the newer CT warnings (August 5th) mention: not staying out after dark, not walking to the waterfront from downtown, visiting Table Mountain in groups of 4 or more, increase in robberies, hotel room invasions, not taking cabs hailed on the street, not taking public transport etc. Meanwhile water is restricted to 50 liters per day per person.

BTW, SF is going through a rough patch with crime and homelessness at the moment but nothing on these levels. One major convention just cancelled. It's a concern for many of us.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Cape Town Safety?

I reckon there must be 2 or 3 of these threads created a day....

Its a concern for alot of people..

But a concern that I feel doesnt warrant cancelling holidays..

>>> not staying out after dark, not walking to the waterfront from downtown, visiting Table Mountain in groups of 4 or more, increase in robberies, hotel room invasions, not taking cabs hailed on the street, not taking public transport etc <<<

I just checked the australian government travel advice (as Im aussie) and out of all the warnings this is the only one specific to Cape Town -

"The Western Cape, including the city of Cape Town, is experiencing severe drought conditions and strict water restrictions are in place. Follow the advice of local authorities, including complying with water restrictions." Everyone knows theres a drought, and this doesnt affect tourists the same way it does locals.

The rest are just generic warnings... for the whole country.

When I visited Cape Town I never once felt in danger. I walked around Kloof and Long streets at nights, the V&A Waterfront all times of the day... visited all the major tourist sights and did so with just my wife and myself. Using our phones, using cash and using taxis.

I did a google search and could not find a single specific story to any major hotel or accommodation in any tourist area having "invasions" for the past 2 years.

The table mountain stories about being in groups would most likely relate to the walking trail which can get pretty empty in some parts.. if you catch the cable car up and down its fine.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Cape Town Safety?

Hi Max

Post#3 pretty much sumed it up.

Cape Town is beautiful destination (lived here for the last 37 yrs) and like all other worldly cities has its good and bad areas.

Where abouts are you staying and what are you looking at doing whilst here.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Cape Town Safety?

Cape town is a beautiful city. It would be a pity if any one considers cancelling a trip simply based on reported crime. With common sense safety precautions as you would take in all crowded places in the world, avoiding walking around isolated places, avoiding being an attractive target for opportunist thieves (i.e. avoid display of jewellery, cash, valuables), selecting an area and hotel/apartment that has a good reputation of security (can be easily found by research on TA forum), etc, one can easily minimize the risk of becoming a crime victim.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Cape Town Safety?

Thanks for the post. I really appreciate it.

Edited: 1:44 am, August 07, 2018
San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Cape Town Safety?

Thanks for the message. We're booked for An African Villa (0.8 miles from the city center) 19 Carstens Street, 8001 Cape Town, South Africa. We were planning the usual sight-seeing stops (Table Mountain, Robben Island etc.) , staying four days. Thanks again

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Cape Town Safety?

Thanks for the info. Yes, you're right - a lot of the info seems to be country wide. I checked out a couple of CT news sites and there seemed to also be problems with a potential taxi strike and buses being set on fire. It made me wonder. Thanks again.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Cape Town Safety?

When they say Taxi strike its the minibus taxis which would not affect you at all .

Climbing up Table Mountain Do you realise how big table mountain National Park is. And many of the hikes are in very remote areas . but the normal routes are fine .

50 litres per person actually goes a long way .and we do not have Drought in CT at the moment its just our dams that feed the CT area that are not full but the levels are going up daily . Its been raining for the last 3 days our gardens look green and the wild flowers look great .

So do come and visit our most beautiful city and surrounding areas

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Cape Town Safety?

hailing a random taxi on the street is not the norm in CT as it is in many other countries. Either ask your accommodation to arrange a taxi to your venue ( they all have relationships with certain taxis) and ask your venue (restaurant etc.) to order a taxi when you are ready to go home. I also read that Uber is popular.

Public transport that is not recommended , for whatever the reason, are the mini buses that are used to transport the masses to their homes out of town. They are the taxis that are on strike , the strikes will not effect you, as a tourist you will not likely to be going to the destinations served anyway.

I am not sure about walking from African Villa to the V&A, I always ask my accommodation for advice on where to avoid walking at night. On my last 2 trips I have been around the Greenmarket Market area just as the souvenir market has been packing up and found some of the people hanging around to be a bit intimidating, and the café owner of where we were sitting outside, was keen to get us inside. I wouldn't choose to walk around that area at night.

Reply to: Cape Town Safety?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted