We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aradena up or down from Loutro?

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Aradena up or down from Loutro?

I have a day planned with help from Albastron but having read a recent post I am wondering if we should be doing it the other way round? So walk to Marmara from Loutro up the gorge then back to Loutro. Doing it this way where does the gorge behin is it at Aradena so we wouldn't walk up to Anopolis?

All day - Loutro-Anopolis-Aradena-Gorge-Marmara-Loutro a 10-12 hour leisurely day with time for Marmara

Is it much better to walk up the gorge to forfit the end on the beach at Marmara if we were to walk down it?

thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

I don't know that it's MUCH better. There are pros and cons to both ways of doing it. I'm in favour of walking up the gorge, partly because it's easier, partly because you see more going up than down (I think that's true of all gorge walks) and can enjoy it more. On the other hand, the lure of a swim at Marmara after a long day's hike is irresistible.

>Doing it this way where does the gorge behin is it at Aradena so we wouldn't walk up to Anopolis?<

Yes, you wouldn't walk up to Anopolis. The walk up the gorge from Marmara finishes at Aradena, which is roughly level with Anopolis. The walk takes about an hour, maybe a little less if you walk at a brisk pace. You'd then have a 1-1.5 hour walk from Anopolis down the footpath to Loutro, and can have your swim there.

Of course you could swim at Marmara before starting up the gorge.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

Em ok thanks, decisions! How long is it back to Loutro from exit of gorge without going to Anopolis?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

You'll have to go to Anopolis. Have a look at your map.

There is another way down, but it's not easy to describe, not as easy to find, and no shorter. Marmara-gorge-Aradena-Anopolis-Loutro is your route.

Or, if you decide to walk down the gorge rather than up it, Anopolis-Aradena-gorge-Marmara-Loutro.

Edited: 4:42 pm, April 01, 2014
Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

Ah ok, re read your message and see what you saying now, thanks. Yep will get the map,out, did buy one for the area, will be somewhere safe!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

In case your map doesn't detail; the road from Aradena to Anopolis is long and can be tedious after climbing the gorge.

There is a nice path to Anapolis which leaves the road after a while - if I remember rightly by some masts - the path was liberally daubed with paint waymarks when we were there!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

Thanks will post in my file and look out for it

Rach

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
898 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

It depends on your hiking style. I prefer to walk the difficult part (steep in this case) of the route first and then do the easy one. So I would recommend to hike up to Anopolis first, and then cross Aradena gorge. To do that though in one day is a bit demanding...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

It is a long day, but that is the way most people do it: Loutro, Anopolis, Aradena, Aradena Gorge, Marmara, Loutro. Unless one prefers to go up the gorge. In the case of Aradena it is easier to go up than down; and it's generally more rewarding to go up gorges (in my opinion) because one sees more and can better appreciate the landscape and the nature.

9. Re: Aradena up or down from Loutro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 22, 2015