We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour only 1 day

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Day tour only 1 day

Hi

We will be in Chania on the 3rd May for the day as part of a cruise. I am trying to put together a tour by Taxi and have the following thoughts:

Collected Souda Port and head to the Agia Triada Monastery VIA the Allied War Cemetry

From there head to Chania town to have a look around the town and Marina

Then head up to Manousakis Winery for the tour and light lunch before heading back to the ship.

My question is how much time should I allocate for each place?

Thanks

Redned

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour only 1 day

How long will you have on shore? If you give us a time spread - arrival time and departure time of the cruise ship - it will be easier to answer you.

But your comment about "a light lunch" before returning to the ship makes me a bit dubious. However early you dock, you won't have time to visit Agia Triada, and Chania town, and get to the winery by lunch time. Not without rushing Chania, which would be a great shame. It will take you half an hour to get into Chania, and another half an hour to get to Manousakis, allowing time for Chania traffic, which is always heavy.

But give us the schedule, and we'll have a look at how you could do it.

Edited: 9:43 am, April 03, 2013
Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour only 1 day

Hi

We dock at 7am and depart at 3pm. I am figuring 8-2pm will be our available hours.

Redned

3. Re: Day tour only 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:58 am, April 03, 2013
Edited: 10:58 am, April 03, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour only 1 day

OK then. Working backwards, if you need to be back at the ship by 2.30, you'll need to leave Manousakis at 1.45. (Google maps estimate a 43-minute journey).

Your first step is to find out how long the tour of the winery takes; and as lunch is involved (specially prepared, I believe) allow for that, too. Bear in mind that you'll be tasting wines (and possibly buying, which is of course what they'll be hoping for) and that this takes time.

I'm sure this isn't a visit that most people would hurry through in an hour or two; but assuming that you are going to spend at least two hours there, you need to arrive there at 11.30. That leaves you 3.5 hours for Agia Triada and Chania, including travelling time.

Let's see how it looks.

8. Leave for Agia Triada.

8.30 Arrive Agia Triada and visit

9.30 Leave Agia Triada

10.00 Arrive Chania town

11.00 Leave Chania

11.30 Arrive at Manousakis winery.

1.45 Leave Manousakis and return to ship.

This works only if two hours and a bit is sufficient for the winery: I can't imagine it is, if you include lunch in the visit.

And the real rub is that you'll have only an hour in Chania. Only you can decide whether it's worth it. It means rushing to see the Venetian harbour and not much else (the harbour is beautiful, but the real interest is in the back streets of the old city). I suppose it's better than nothing. But Chania is Crete's most beautiful city, and if this were my short visit I think I would be spending the whole of it exploring the city itself: strolling through the little streets, maybe maybe visiting the excellent small Archaeological Museum in Halidon, maybe doing a little shopping, stopping at a good restaurant for lunch.

If you could bear to eliminate either the monastery or the winery from your plans, I think you'd have a much more relaxed, enjoyable day.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour only 1 day

Frankly the cruise ships stop at Chania specifically because of all the things that Albastron has told you about Chania. I am pretty sure a winery tour isn't going to be something unique for an Australian but visiting Chania is an opportunity to step back into the past and see where people have been living their lives for 500 years. I would certainly suggest you head into Chania and get lost wandering those back alleys. See if you can find the old city walls.

See what Albastron is describing.

Chania

flickr.com/photos/…

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,496 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tour only 1 day

Clearly you have an interest in WW2, hence the visit to the cemetery. I would like to suggest you forgo the winery trip and instead spend your time in Chania harbour, in particular the Maritime Museum at the western end, where you will find a whole floor devoted to the Battle of Crete, and the involvement of the Allied nations, including of course the critical involvement of the ANZAC troops. I'm sure you will find this more of a memory than a wine-tasting, however good..

For a light lunch, take a gyros and beer just inland from the centre of the harbour.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tour only 1 day

Thanks guys!!!!

Your suggestions will be very helpful - Winery is not a MUST see but more of the chance to see the traditional wine making - which we dont see in Australia :-( - but we have time in Italy and France that we can do this.

At least now we can have the discussion with our friends and decide which is most important.

Redned

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tour only 1 day

Hi all...Kostas from Chania here, taxi driver.

The tour you are talking about, i have done it quite a few times, without the Winery part. So, about it's times...

From Souda port to the Commonweath War Cemetery, then to Agia Triada, then to Venizelos Tombs for photo stop and down to Chania city, takes 2 hours max. Having sufficient time spent on each stop (the Cemetery 20 min., Agia Triada 30 min., Venizelos Graves area 20 min.) So, 2 hours already to be at Chania city. Then for the city itself, you might need from 1 hour (kinda in a rush to be honest) up to 3 hours, so let's say 2 hours spent in the city. We are at 4 hours right now.

From Chania city to Manousakis winery you may need about 30 - 35 minutes (you would have to drive through a part of the city center at around 12 noon time, which could take about 15 minutes plus another 20min. from Kladissos area to the winery, in a bit faster pace than driving casually) and about 35 minutes from the winery back to the ship. So from chania to Manousakis and then back to Souda, we are talking about 1hour+, and that leaves you with almost an hour at the winery, if all goes well. So, here another 2 hours, you go up to 6. Meaning you have left for about 30 minutes for a light snack, possibly at the winery.

And there you have an 8 am to 2:30 pm tour. As far as the cost of this by a taxi, it goes 30 euros per hour, so from 180€ to 200€.

Any more info you may need, or other possible tour suggestions, let me know

Kostas, info@taxi4crete.gr

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tour only 1 day

Thankyou Kostas!

We have been researching and have decided that the winery is not that important for this trip- we would rather spend more time in Chania.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day tour only 1 day

Hi there,

If Steeve is right and you are interested in WW2 then a trip to the Maleme airport and a visit to the German Cemetery would be a good idea as there was the turning point and the most vicious part of the battle took place. The hill of the German Cemetery is actually the hill 107 of the battle overlooking the Maleme airport.

The drive there must be about half an hour I think.