We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from boat dock to Khao Sok?

Which Khao Sok National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
553 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from boat dock to Khao Sok?

Hi, I have been reading the great posts on this forum. We are planning a trip for Feb. 2014 and have lots of questions! We are going on the MV Oktavia 5 day liveaboard trip--we are snorkel fanatics. The boat docks south of Khao Lak at 1730. We don't want to unpack for a one-nighter in Khao Lak before we go to Khao Sok if we can help it. However, the time we were given to get to the entrance of the NP by taxi was 2 to 2 1/2 hours. That would put it pretty late for eating dinner if restaurants up there are even open that late? What do you advise? Suck it up and stay in Khao Lak or go up to the park that evening?

Secondly, are the rafflesia flowers blooming in mid-Feb and is the trek to see them difficult?

Next, we don't really want the full tour (with stops for markets and coffee) to get to the lake, just go there and get a guide for animal spotting, stay overnight and have a guide for a night tour. Is this possible?

Lastly, we will need to get transport from the Lake houses to the Phuket airport. Is this possible to arrange and how long would it take (taxi or private driver)?

Thanks so much--the TA community is so great, I am sure there is a wealth of info out there to help us.

Sally in Seattle

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,362 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from boat dock to Khao Sok?

Not clear where in Khao Sok you are staying or for how long. The main area of land accommodation and where restaurants, a few mini-marts and tour shops is on the road leading down from the highway to the entrance to the National Park. A taxi to there from the pier at Tab Lamu will take about 75 minutes. Restaurant will be open at that time. See map at …walagata.com/w/arandora/Khao_Sok_Map0001.pdf

If you are staying at the Lake that is just less than an hour further and if you are staying on a raft house you will be too late to transfer.

Contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com for quotes for transfers both ways. He does the trips regularly and reasonably.

The Rafflesia flowers throughout the year but you won't know until the day whether it is in bloom on that day. There is a map to the self-guided trek available from the Visitor Centre inside the NP. It is a full day trek there and back on well marked paths but tiring and you need sturdy footwear, plenty of insect repellent and water.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
553 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from boat dock to Khao Sok?

Wow! Thanks for your complete and helpful reply. I will follow up on the recommendations. We were thinking it would be too late to get to the lake that night, so thanks for the confirmation. I am sure I'll be back here with more questions!

Sally in Seattle

3. Re: Travel from boat dock to Khao Sok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 24, 2014