We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Sok to Bangkok

Which Khao Sok National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Malta...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Sok to Bangkok

Hi,

I am planning to do 2 day/2 nights at Khao Sok NP next January. I am expected to depart from Krabi using a minibus service which apparently runs just once a day at about 11:00 and which is said to pick you up from the pier/travel agency offices/hotels/guesthouses. (Transit time is 3 hours. Price: 300/350 baht). Is this information correct? :)

On the way back, I want to go to Bangkok. I know about the bus/night train option from Surat Thani, but I also know that there is some VIP bus that takes you directly from Khao Sok to Bangkok. I would definitely be more interested in this option to spend some more time in Khao Sok. However, I do not wish to arrive late the next day in Bangkok as I will be flying out the very same day.

Does anybody know the details of this VIP bus? At what time does it leave and from where? How much is the transit time? How much does it cost? What type of bus is it (larger type air con coach)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ryan

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Sok to Bangkok

Where are you staying at Khao Som? Near the NP HQ or on the Lake. There is about an hour by road between them. the Lake being nearer to Surat Thani where you can change to Bangkok or the NP HQ nearer to Takua Pa where you can change and go via Chumpon.

VIP buses are double deck buses with air-con, reclining seats and usually DVDs or movies playing. This link may help www.passplanet.com/thailand/khao_sok.htm

Island of Malta...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Sok to Bangkok

Thanks Arandora for your reply, appreciated. Unfortunately the link supplied seems to describe a different bus from the one I am looking for as it departs from Surat Thani and not directly from Khao Sok. Of course this would require further travelling which I am trying to avoid.

My plan was to start from the NP HQ and do some trekking/river tubing and sleep at a treehouse there. The following day I would go, apparently by a longtail, to the lake, do the caving/night safari there and sleep at the floating rafts. Finally I would depart to Bangkok the day after. So, to put things into perspective, I arrive at Khao Sok on a Thursday afternoon and leave to Bangkok on a Saturday, hopefully late in the afternoon/night so that I would have more time to spend during that day.

So for last day I was thinking to spend the morning at the lake, return via longtail to the NP HQ and catch the VIP bus from there. But I still do not know details about the VIP bus details :)

Thanks again

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Sok to Bangkok

As I said in my reply, there is an hour BY ROAD between the NP HQ and the Lake. The longtail boat takes you out on the lake from the pier which is about 20 minutes by road (taxi, no bus service I am aware of) from the highway.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are two different routes to Bangkok. If you return to your accommodation near the NP HQ you can go back to Takua Pa and catch a VIP bus from there up towards Ranong and across to Chumpon to Bangkok. Or you go via Surat Thani, the same route that takes you past the road down to the Lake. So if you finish at the Lake it is nearer and quicker to catch the bus to Surat Thani and transfer to the Bangkok VIP bus there as there is only 1 VIP bus per day that goes through Khao Sok to Bangkok - see wikitravel.org/en/Khao_Sok_National_Park

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Sok to Bangkok

I did khoa sok and the lake trip a few days ago.

Timings above confirmed.

I did see a big coach there but not aware of a VIP service.

I suspect this is the packaging/coach / bus specifcations, but won't be a quicker road time. Most speak of 12 hours by train from surat thani or 10 hours by bus or fly.If there was a quicker option other than flying, it would be spoken about.

5. Re: Khao Sok to Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 16, 2013