We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito severity in February/March in Manzanillo/Limon?

Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
mosquito severity in February/March in Manzanillo/Limon?

Hello,

I know mosquitoes are an issue in Limon Province year round, but I was wondering how bad they are typically in late February/early March?

We are of course bringing bug spray, but I keep reading recommendations about wearing long pants and shirts... we are hoping to avoid this during the day as we're coming from temps of below zero to the high 80's (F°). We'll be traveling with a toddler too though and are mainly concerned with the contraction of dengue fever.

Thanks for your help.

Kristi

4 replies to this topic
Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito severity in February/March in Manzanillo/Limon?

Hi Kristi,

Mosquitoes are not so bad during the time you will be down here (as compared to winter time). Also, mosquitoes are not so active during the day, but after 5pm they become very active. When I fly to places with my toddler, where I know mosquitoes might be an issue, I always bring enough deet free insect repellent, and a pack-n-play with a mosquito net that fits perfectly and seals tight so my baby can sleep all night long as well as us :) If you can't bring one of those with you, maybe the hotel where you are staying provides one (if you don't mind using a used one). Maybe the hotel provides mosquito net for you bed as well.

You could also bring one of those mosquito repellent that plugs into an outlet.

Just remember to always carry your mosquito repellent everywhere you go, and you should be fine :-)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito severity in February/March in Manzanillo/Limon?

I understand you are asking about the Manzanillo area and we did a morning hike with a guide within the Manzanillo Refuge on January 22. We were prepared for many mosquitos but our experience was that there were very few. We wore pants and long sleeve shirts and this was not necessary. We had bug spray with us. The guide wore shorts.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito severity in February/March in Manzanillo/Limon?

I find that it depends on the weather as much as time of year. If there is a few sunny days after some rain, then there can be more mosquitoes that normal, especially in the shady or dark places, like under tables in restaurants for example. If you have a stroller then invest in a net for it, so that your little one is protected from bugs during the day. Repellent is the only real dengue prevention though and needs to be worn in the day when the mosquitoes that carry it are out and about. It isn't a common thing to catch though. I have had in twice in 14 years of living here, but my husband and kids have thankfully never shown a sign of it -- I must just be very sweet.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito severity in February/March in Manzanillo/Limon?

The mosquitos can be annoying but what the issue for me was, is sand fleas. Use bug spray on your legs in the early part of the day and at dusk/night, if walking on the beach. I also luckily had cortisone cream, which helped.

Reply to: mosquito severity in February/March in Manzanillo/Limon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted