We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Scuol

10 posts
Save Topic
Munich to Scuol

I am already flying to Munich, but I need to get to Scuol on the same day I land in Munich (I land at 6 a.m.). Is it best to train from Munich to Zurich and then take a train on to Scuol; or should I get a flight from Munich to Zurich and then catch a train from Zurich to Scuol? Or are there land transfer alternatives from Munich direct to Scuol (even via Austria maybe)? My main objective wou

D be to get there as quickly as possible. Any views and suggestions would be welcomed.

6 replies to this topic
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Scuol

Your choices are a train connection (see my other post) or a rental car. While a car rental will be probably somewhat faster, it is weather dependent and driving over mountain roads, especially in winter, after a long overnight flight is a recipe for desaster. I would take a train (actually, a train/bus combination via Landeck) even despite 4 changes

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Scuol

Dear destination Expert

Thank you for your email and advice!

I appreciate going via Zurich is a detour, though flying there takes 1 hour and then there is a 3 hour train journey: 4 hours in total.

The train/bus alternative from Munich to Scuol has 4-6 changes and takes 6-7 hours (with some pretty tight connection times that leave little scope for error). So, do you agree, it may actually be quicker (though probably more expensive) to fly to Zurich and then catch the train.

What I meant to ask in my previous message is: are there land transfer alternatives e.g. Taxis or transfer companies? That might take one from Munich to Scuol, or to some town (e.g. Innsbruck) from where one could catch a bus or train that runs directly to Scuol?

Another alternative: can one fly from Munich to St Moritz and then train from there?

I am most grateful for your help.

Kind regards

Phillip

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Scuol

Hi PhillipMyburg,

I don't think your train times are accurate. The time is 6h, not 6-7 (actually 5h58) with 3 changes. I used the German rail site at

www.bahn.com

to get the information.

Remember, that flying isn't really all that quick. It will take 45 minutes to get from München to the airport, then you'll have to wait there for 2h. Then fly, then wait for your bags, then take the train (3h) from Zürich to Scuol. So, that is 6h as well.

If you take the train, your 6h will be spent enjoying the scenery, visiting the restaurant car or the bistro car, reading, chatting with your seat-mates, etc. If you fly, you'll be stuck in bland airports and an airplane.

There is no public airport at St. Moritz.

Have fun as you continue planning!

s

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Scuol

I completely agree to swandaw, train is by far your best option. I got the same connection on www.sbb.ch/en

Most of the Swiss part of the journey is very scenic going trough the mountains. Before that you can see for a short time German and Austrian parts of lake Constance.

There is an a small airport in Samedan, but it's only used by private planes and piltos need special training to be allowed to land there.

I'm sure you can find a company that offers a private transfer from Munich to Scuol, but that would take about 3.5 hours and cost a fortune.

10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Scuol

Thank you both for your feedback.

If I use the German. Rail site: it doesn't offer me Scuol as a destination, or it requests a destination VIA which we wish to travel. The Swiss sight also requests a destination VIA which we wish to travel.

Can you advise what station is a connecting station for the foregoing purposes?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

I am most thankful to you.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Scuol

You don't need to put something in the "via" box. If you like you can put St. Margrethen there. The other stop where you change train is Landquart

Reply to: Munich to Scuol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Engadin Scuol
More Engadin Scuol Topics