We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from zurich to st moritz

Harrogate, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from zurich to st moritz

I am travelling 15.Jan.I've read earlier that I would be ok to purchase my train ticket at the airport.I wonder if if its still appropriate.I wouldn't mind buying it in advance but what if my flight is late ...can I use it for the next train? How does it work?Any advice?Thanks

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from zurich to st moritz

Just buy Your 1st or 2nd class ticket at the airport train station. There are plenty of information boards around look for your destination and platform number. Note the board above the platform that tells you where the 1st and second class cars are on the train and their stopping position on the platform. Simple. There are no seat reservations on "normal" trains in Switzerland so sit anywhere that's available. When you arrive in Chur the mountain train is waiting for you at sn adjacent platform and again pick the appropriate 1st or 2nd class carriage.

Mentioned in this post
Chur
Chur
Canton of Graubunden, Switzerland
Harrogate, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from zurich to st moritz

Brill,many thanks

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from zurich to st moritz

p.s. The Albula line trip from Chur up to St Moritz is a memorable testament to Railway genius. Best views on the right hand side.

Mentioned in this post
Chur
Chur
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Harrogate, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from zurich to st moritz

thanks for your help i really appreciate it!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from zurich to st moritz

I think you may have already answered my question but I would like to check. I had planned to go from Chur to Tirano and back but time is not on my side. Is the trip from Chur to St Moritz still really scenic with the twists and turns and high viaducts that this railway is known for? What do we miss by not going all the way to Tirano?

Mentioned in this post
Chur
Chur
Tirano
Tirano
Province of Sondrio, Italy
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from zurich to st moritz

Hi Andrew, please ask future questions in a new tread instead of jumping on an old one, old tread are rarely opened again after some time, as everybody thinks he has given his five cents already.

To answer your questions, it would be helpful to know where you are coming from and what is your next destination. The itinerary over the Bernina pass to Tirano or at least to Poschiavo is dramatically scenic, but also the journey on the Albula line (Chur to St. Moritz, part of the Glacier Express and the extension of the Bernina Express) is very scenic and the highest viaduct is on this part. There is an announcment before you reach it so that you will be ready to take a picture.

Mentioned in this post
Bernina Pass
Bernina Pass
228 Reviews
Poschiavo, Switzerland
Tirano
Tirano
Province of Sondrio, Italy
Chur
Chur
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Bernina Express
Bernina Express
1,790 Reviews
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
7. Re: Travelling from zurich to st moritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, April 20, 2013