We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary with 1 1/2 yr old 5 days/4 nights

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary with 1 1/2 yr old 5 days/4 nights

My husband and I are going to St. Martin for the 1st time. We are big travelers but are not huge resort people. We decided to stay at Les Balcons as it had a kitchen which works well with the baby and it seems to have good views. The more I read about the island I worry about our itinerary and location. We are renting a car and usually drive everytime we travel. What would you suggest as far as must see things to do and see. I would like to go beach hopping. Grand Case is on our agenda, and I am just wondering can we see Marigot, Philipsburg, Simpson Bay, Orient Bay, Maho Bay. Is Oyster Pond too far and should I change locations?

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary with 1 1/2 yr old 5 days/4 nights

The island is not that big. You can see everything very easily. You are 20 minutes by car away from Philipsburg. Visi the st maarten zoo if you get a chance.

You are less than 20 minutes away from Orient. Visit the Butterfly farm in that area.

You are maybe 20-25 minutes away from Grand Case. MARIGOT is 15 minutes beyond Grand Case.

You are furtherest away from the Maho and Simpson Bay area on the Dutch side. The entire island can be driven around in 2 hours.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary with 1 1/2 yr old 5 days/4 nights

Stop at the Butterfly Farm on your way to Le Gallion beach. The farm must do early, you will enjoy this. Then to the beach which is calm as a swimming pool and great for small kids. There rent chairs and umbrellas and have a nice little restaurant with very good food. Also have restrooms. Nice days for kids.

m a
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary with 1 1/2 yr old 5 days/4 nights

As others have mentioned, the island is not very big. If you have a car you can get a lot accomplished. My kids are a bit older than yours.. my youngest was 2.5 our last visit. They loved the butterfly farm. Another thing we were going to do with them was the 'submarine' out of Grand Case, but we didn't get a chance. We went during the off season and it had restricted hours. Other than that they loved just being on any beach. They were least impressed when we spent time in the towns. Being hot and stuck in a stroller is no fun compared to a beach! Have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary with 1 1/2 yr old 5 days/4 nights

Trip Report - Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We had a great time on the island. We stayed in Oyster Pond and thought the location was perfect! We loved the French part of the Island and stayed mostly there. On the first day we ate at the Dinghys Dock bar lunch and for dinner at Creperie and got settled into our hotel at Les Balcons after buying some groceries near Philipsburg. Highly recommended Les Balcons but will post review seperately. The second day we spent most of the day at Le Galion beach (our favorite beach) and Orient Bay beach we had a drink. Afterwards we drove to Grand case had a cocktail at the Love hotel, and then got some fresh fish at Simply Market and stopped over in Marigot and drove back to cook dinner. The next day we spent at Ilet Pine and spent the entire day there. We picked up the ferry boat back at about 4:30 or so and tried to go to Mamas Pizza but it was cash only - then tried Quai Quest which was closed. So we finally picked up some more fresh fish at the market again near the marina and cooked at home. The next day we decided to drive to the lowlands what a mistake. We spend all this time driving to Nettle Bay (Baie Nettle), Baie Rouge and Terres Basses and Cupecoy. We were not impressed with any of it, and finally just gave up after being hot, tired and hungry in the car and drove back to Friar's Bay and stayed there for a short time. We then headed to Anse Marcel which we LOVED! And wished we went there first. We had an expensive lunch and cocktail and finished the rest of the day there. We drove back to Oyster Pond, attempting to go to Dawn Beach and could not find how to enter (is it through the hotel?). Nevertheless, we finallly decided to eat at Ms. Busby's since Big Fish and Canoa I did not feel was good for our toddler. We had a great dinner and called it a night. Oh and we saw Pic Paradis as well. We missed the Lotterie Farm and the Butterfly Farm. And on our way to our flight the enxt morning we had breakfast at Maho great way to end the day. We can not wait to go back and will stay at Oyster Pond again! Thanks for all the help. Getting a car was 150% worth it. And yes with a toddler beach days are the best way to spend the vacation.

5. Re: Itinerary with 1 1/2 yr old 5 days/4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 10, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Martin