We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Beach ????

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which Beach ????

Help needed , like many I am arriving to St Martin on a cruise ship and have a full day . I am looking for a truly Caribbean beach , clear warm water , not to crowded , but with a bar / restaurant. I intend on going to Maho Beach to look at the planes and experience this , but I will work my day around beach in the morning , shopping around lunch , Maho around 2pm , then cruise off . Le Galion has been recommended over Orient . Any help would be much appreciated

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Beach ????

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Beach ????

Thanks Bobcat , great resource , '

Has anyone been recently on the island or have travelled in the past ?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Beach ????

Many of those who post here - yes. Friar's bay Beach, Rouge beach, Mullet, Simpson bay beach are good choices but there are so many.

Caracas
Level Contributor
700 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Beach ????

Tonyhar, St. Maarten is a bech paradise. There are some of the best beaches I've seen. In fact, beaches are my favorite St. Maarten topic.

One of the best option you have, been a cruiser, is Great Bay beach. This is the closest beach from docks, beautiful, nice crystal clear and calm water, great landscape, jetski, just in front of the boardwalk for a nice walk and frontstreet for some shopping in Phillisburg. Then you can take a cab to Maho (aprox. 20-25 minutes) to see the planes. The only con with Great Bay is some times it get a little crowded when too many ships are in docks. But for that you want, I think is the better option.

You also can go to Mullet Bay, another great beach very close to Maho, less crowded, beautiful in every way. Maybe you could come back early from Mullet/Maho and do some shopping in Phillisbrug before return to ship.

Le Galion is one of my favorite, like Pinel too. I absolutely recommend both. They are a little far from docks (40-50 minutes) but really worth the trip. Orient (almost as far as Le Galion and Pinel) is the most crowded beach. If you want a nice beach family experience, maybe Orient isn't your thing. In my first visit to the island (like a cruiser) I did Orient and later back to Phillisburg for a quick shopping. Is perfectly doable.

I´m writting this and I want to go back again... and again.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Beach ????

When you are at Maho beach, you should go to The Dream at Caravanserai and have a drink with Marty. Tell him his Texas Dog people say hi.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
89 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Beach ????

I would recommend Bay Rougue, nice beach, not crowded, good food and drinks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Beach ????

We stayed by maho which I highly recommend you see. Before or After go to Friars Bay Beach. Our favorite beach on the island. We arrived early and indulged in bloody mary's and screwdrivers! Noon time we had a spectacular french inspired lunch. I had the duck my wife hade the couscous and mushroom risotto. Amazing. The water is perfect, the beach is perfect, great little beach and restuarant! Hope this info helps!

Dustin

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Beach ????

Dustin , many thanks . This reply is exactly what I needed , if anyone else knows of any tips for ST Martin , please reply

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Beach ????

Both Friars and Bay Rouge would have what you are looking for. I believe you would spend less time on the road and more at the beach travelling to Bay Rouge and Maho would be on your route when returning. Of course, we prefer Friars but you would have to arrange to be picked up after your morning at the beach as it is off the beaten track.

10. Re: Which Beach ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Martin