We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help. St. Martin? Aruba? Barbados? Grenada? Curacao?

San Diego
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I need help. St. Martin? Aruba? Barbados? Grenada? Curacao?

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean in July, together we have been to the Caymans and St. Martin and she has been to Barbados on her own a few times..we're trying to decide which island to try this time? we love to hang out on gorgeous white sand beaches, snorkel, read a book in a hammock with a fruity cocktail, great local cuisine etc..of the islands I listed in the subject box can anybody make some recommendations on the best island for us to visit in July? (keep in mind she has already been to Barbados and we've beeen to St. Martin but really enjoyed it) I'm going to be using miles to fly there and those are the 5 best options that work with our travel dates. Should we try a new island or go back to one we've already been to? I appreciate any advise one of you Caribbean experts would like to give!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
471 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I need help. St. Martin? Aruba? Barbados? Grenada? Curacao?

Grenada was essentially a Third World country. The infrastructure was crumbling. Lots of poverty. Roads were awful. There were about 10 dogs for every human inhabitant and they all slept in the roads. Bugs were beyond belief. We stayed in a lovely villa but dining out was mediocre at best. Couldn't eat at any outdoor restaurants because of the bugs. Most indoor restaurans didnt have AC. We ended up eating most of our dinners at a resort restaurant right by the airport. Again, food was medicore at best. Beaches were a little below average for the Caribbean. My original point was that there are so many better options. Also, one the the longest flights from the US because it's so far south. Just not worth the trip in my mind...but that's just one mans opinion.

Putnam, Connecticut
Level Contributor
21 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I need help. St. Martin? Aruba? Barbados? Grenada? Curacao?

If you've been to ST. Martin, Aruba & Barbados try Curacao - it's really unique and friendly and has European flair, Having been to all but Grenada I would go there personally or Curacao again - we've traveled to 15 Caribbean islands so far and returned to each- always looking for a chance to try another one! Aruba really feels like US unless you stay on Eagle Beach and avoid the high rise area. All of the others have a very interesting mixes of Europe and Caribbean qualities and beautiful beaches and water! St. Lucia still remains my favorite - my husband St, Martin! Good luck too many great choices.

Edited: 2:50 pm, March 15, 2013
13. Re: I need help. St. Martin? Aruba? Barbados? Grenada? Curacao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 17, 2014