We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise Needed on Condo Parking & Car Rentals

Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advise Needed on Condo Parking & Car Rentals

We are returning to St Maarten in April and we're travelling with another couple. We need some advice to decide if we should rent one vehicle or two. The condo where we are staying (Simpson Bay Beach area) only allots 1 parking spot so the 2nd vehicle has to be parked on the street. We know not to leave anything in the car but will it be safe parked on a residential street? Is it safe for us to walk from the car to the condo at night? Our credit card's coverage will not cover all 4 drivers for one vehicle. As we all want to share the driving responsibilities it seems our only option is the car rental's insurance. Is this recommended? We'd appreciate any available information or advice!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,354 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise Needed on Condo Parking & Car Rentals

You should get along with two drivers on the vehicle. You didn't say where you are staying, I assume the car lot is near the condo and walking from the car lot to the condo should not be a concern. Parking on the street is another issue, I can't say if it is safe or not to do so.

Rental insurance, at least for us, is a must.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise Needed on Condo Parking & Car Rentals

I agree with Bobcat that one car should be sufficient for the four of you. Many car rental agencies include the spouse as a second driver in the cost of the rental. If you want additional drivers, it would be less expensive to pay the cost for adding an additional driver (e.g. $10/day plus tax from Hertz). Although I'm not sure if the credit card coverage for collision would be affected by non-family drivers for the car. That could easily be checked.

Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise Needed on Condo Parking & Car Rentals

The condo is on Simpson Bay Beach at Las Arenas. We did check the cc coverage and it only covers the principal and the spouse. The only reason we wanted to share the driving so that the same people don't always have to be the designated driver. We definitely will be getting insurance either way but none of us have ever used a rental agencies insurance so we are a little hesitant to do so. Thanks so much for your help!!

4. Re: Advise Needed on Condo Parking & Car Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Martin