We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need tips for an inexpensive way to vacation in St Maartin

Colbert, Washington
Level Contributor
794 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Need tips for an inexpensive way to vacation in St Maartin

We really would like to go to St. Maartin this year. We wanted to do an all inclusive but there are only a few and wonder if it would be cheaper to rent a villa? If so, what are some great places to rent for a decent price.

Are the restaurants expensive due to the culinary greatness there? Any and all tips are appreciated. Thank you.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Need tips for an inexpensive way to vacation in St Maartin

Also food is expensive no matter where you go, for breakfast you are looking at approx. $25/person, lunch $40, supper at least $80 (my figures are in Canadian $)

United States
Level Contributor
202 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Need tips for an inexpensive way to vacation in St Maartin

We are here now and my husband and I both think the restaurants are pretty overpriced. It is hard to find dinner for anything under $20 per person. Besides that we have found quite a few places that add a 15% service charge to the bill. I would recommend a hotel/timeshare rental with a kitchen or a condo. We are staying at the Flamingo resort and like it. I will warn you too that the grocery store prices are pretty high. We paid 7.50 u.s. for a gallon of milk and also cereal was the same price. Some were $8 a box! A bag of dorritos was over $6.00. Very expensive compared to what we are use to paying in the states.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Need tips for an inexpensive way to vacation in St Maartin

Tips f-or inexpensive St. Martin vacation: 1. Go off season. April- Nov. 15. 2. Mont Vernon or

Oyster pond are generally the cheapest locales with studios sometimes as low as $600 a week with a kitchen. Rent a car as cabs are very expensive. 4. Go grocery shopping, especially for breakfast items. This will save you money as well as time since often service in a restaurant is on island time and service will probably be included on the bill, even if you waited for food half an hour. Live a little, and try french or dutch snacks.from the stores instead of insisting on american brands. 5. Pqck a collapsible cooler in your baggage or use a cooler as.your carry on to take snacks and your beverages of choice to the beach or with you on a picnic. Also we take a beach blanket, sometimes we rent chairs and sometimes we don't. Plus some beaches like Happy Bay don't have much in the way of chairs. Normally we check one bag with beach blanket and sunscreens and other large ttoiletries plus any non TSA friendly items. Coming back that blanket protects wine and other souvenirs that are breakable. Some may say this is a hassle but all these tips work for us, and lower our costs. If going inexpensively is your goal, sometimes you have to do things. And finally, check Tripadvisor for cheap flights and invaluable information specifically from posts by sxmlover and bobcat, just to name 2. Never met them but I sure as anything pay attention to.what they post.

34. Re: Need tips for an inexpensive way to vacation in St Maartin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Martin