We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

Boston...
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has rented from Rent a Wreck car rentals at the airport? I don't see any recent posts here in the forums but they seem to be quite a bit cheaper than other rental companies (at least for Feb 2013 when we will be on the island). I have to admit, the name kind of scares me ;)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

No need to be nervous about them.They are franchised in 50 states ---Scandinavia & St Maarten. Their fleet is used cars in good to very good condition (why they rent cheaper) Google them and get their history. I'm using them in Nov. I know the man that holds the SXM franchise & I've used his rental co. many times,in the past.

Edited: 1:16 am, September 10, 2012
Boston...
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

Thanks so much - really appreciate the response! Was more so curious about them because there was no mention of them in the St. Martin forums :)

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

I just got a great quote from them for our February trip. The problem I have is that they want us to pay up front with our credit card to hold the reservation. In the past, we just held it with our credit card and paid when we arrived. Not so sure I am comfortable doing this 6 months away. Has anyone done this and is this the current trend for high season?

4. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, September 12, 2012
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

I would be interested in the answer to this one as well. We are travelling

in November to St. Maarten and we were looking at Rent A Wreck. Seems to me I had read previous postings regarding double billing. Clients were paying in full at the time of the reservation and then being billed again upon car pickup. Can anyone advise if this was the case? I sure would like to book them as their prices are quite a bit cheaper. Does anyone have the name of a contact person there?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,764 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

You don't usually have top give your cc info until you arrive on island and your card is not charged until you leave. (A hold is usually placed on it for the rental amount once you arrive, but the charge is not final until you turn in the car and the transaction is completed.) I would NOT give my CC info in advance. Find another company. RED FLAG!! Price is not everything.

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

Thank you. I thought as much but just needed confirmation. There are many car rental places and will not pay in advance.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

Thank you sxmlover....will be going with Empress.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

I have rented from Rent A Wreck in Ft.Lauderdale 3-4 times no problem, but they are no longer in business. I realize they are franchised, but be careful anyway. I did rent from them in Miami in February 2012 and I can't even begin to tell you the horror story. Wreck was an understatement! Not only that but, to this day I am disputed it with my Amex bill. I made reservations on line for one week at 19.95 per day, but I really needed the car for 10 days. When I arrived at their office which by the way cost me $25 from the airport to their office. Eddie, the owner told me it would only cost $10 from the airport! Not so, first lie! When I arrived at his office he ran my credit card for the full 7 days. I told him that I would like the car an extra 3 days would that be a problem he said, "no problem just give me a call. I already had the on-line rates for the extra 3 days at 27.99 understandable, as it was a daily rate. I called Eddie about 4 days prior to let him know I would keep the car for the extra days. He said, sure no problem we have your credit card on file and will just put it on that. There was NEVER a discussion of the additional daily rate of $75.00 per day; nor was I concerned as I had already seen the rates on line. I just told Eddie to have an itemized breakdown when I drop off the care.

When I returned the car on the 10th day he charged me $75 per extra day. I questioned him and why and he said, "you didn't have a reservation!" We went round and round, but I had no choice as he already charged it on my credit card. Can you imagine what kind of a car I could have for $75 a day? I have rented many cars and have never had this type of problem. This guy is a scam artist and new exactly what he was doing. Don't tell the renter what the extra days cost will be......why because any person in their right mind would have returned the car after the 7 days. I was in Ft. Lauderdale and could have rented any car for three days as half the cost, but it was just such a hassle for me to get the car to Miami and then back to Ft.Lauderdale. I don't know about SXM, but just be very cautious & get all the facts.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a Wreck - any experiences?

I forgot to also mention that I too will be in SXM from October 31 -November 10th. I don't want a car right aways, but I got a quote from Leisure Car Rental for 7 days of $131.39 including taxes and they will drop my car off at my apartment in Orient Beach. They had good reviews on their website. I also got a quote from Safari for $97 plus a road side service fee of $12 total so that $109 no taxes. I think I'm going to go with leisurecarrentalsxm.com.

Hope this helps

Get answers to your questions about Saint-Martin