We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

We are visiting Sint Maarten in August and plan on renting a car for the week. I've seen some horror stories about Thrifty/Dollar Rental and some not-so-good reviews on Alamo, but these all seem to be from 3-4 years ago -- I haven't seen any recent reviews, good or bad.

I know there are other rental companies there with great reviews, but they also cost a lot more. I've used Alamo and Thrifty at other locations in the past and never had a problem.

Has anyone had any recent experience with either of these two and, if so, how was it? Thanks so much!

Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

Why don't you try Kenny's Car Rental-rented from him last week and it was great. This is the second year we rented from him, and he picked us up at airport, and had us rented and on our way in 15 min. Kenny also went the extra mile and both picked up and returned our rented cell phone just as a extra courtesy. Kenny's cars are not brand new, but why would you want something that will get dinged up while there. Kenny's is great-no bad reviews ever.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,305 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

You cannot review rental companies on Trip advisor...

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

Not sure what you are talking about. I've seen tons of reviews on car rental places for every destination that I've researched on Trip Advisor. Thanks to honest reviews and answers from other reviewers. Obviously, if you couldn't review/comment on car rental places, Trip Advisor would delete or block the post, right?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,305 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

No, you saw posts/threads but no reviews TA does not list car rental business.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

Hi,

I am wondering how was your experience with renting Alamo car rental. I am leaving for St Marteen this saturday and am planning to rent for 1 week.

R C
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

We rented from Alamo National in June and it was the single worst experience of my many car rental experiences in the US and in other Caribbean destinations. We were traveling with a 1 year old and even though I had booked a fullsize they stuck me with a local car (economy) with 30000 miles and it rattled like it was going to break down every few miles. We had carried our car seat for the baby but this car didn't have the latch system and the seat belts in the back we're broken. Whe I explained the situation to the car rental person Cindy. she said to come tmrw since the other cars were reserved and they would try to keep a Toyota corolla for us. I went the next day and there was a person Ravi who without even looking said they didn't have anything and when I asked to speak to Cindy he within in my earshot went to her and and said something about how people are just f-ing around. This is extremely shocking to hear someone say this in front of my wife and child. Clearly Cindy and Ravi don't have kids of their own, therefore don't know the concerns of a parent wanting a car seat belt. Maybe it's their attitude which serves as the best birth control. To summarize if you have kids and are concerned about any kind of safety don't rent from this company ever. I hope someone takes notice from Alamo corporate and does something about this cause surely isn't the kind of customer service you would want to publicize.

NYC
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

I agree. On SXM National/Alamo is the worst. There are a lot of car rental places on SXM. The big names have this years cars and the local outlets have last years cars, with prices to match. Don't get anything too big as it will be tight to maneuver and park. Budget is good, so is Dollar, Hertz and Avis. I have also used the local operators at our resort with no issues - Empress and Safari (good for off road jeeps)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
51 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

Did Kenny's Car Rental ask for your license # in advance?

Wynnewood...
Level Contributor
5 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

We just returned from a trip to St. Martin. We rented a villa through St. Martin Reservation Center and they recommended Dollar/Thrifty in Simpson Bay. I was thoroughly happy with the service that I received. I had originally rented through Budget but I got a better price and a bigger car through Thrifty. I was happy with the service on pick-up and return. The young man offered to drive us in the rental car to the airport - no charge - saving us the transfer to the airport van. The car that we were given already had lots of dings and scratches - which is a plus as far as I'm concerned - and they did not try to "upcharge" us for fuel or anything else. Vic was exceedingly pleasant and easy to work with and I'm glad that I chose this agency for the rental. If you have any questions, you can send them my way.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo vs. Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental

Dollar has been an absolute nightmare! Stay far away from this company!!! We had a window broken out and had purchased the insurance from dollar. We found out later it was an $850 deductible. So we get the bill for $1714 a few weeks later. Now over a month later we still are hassling with them to get the charges refunded. I had to file a dispute with the credit card company. Also the van we got had issued with the door locks where one door was jammed and would not lock. I swear they are running some sort of racket down there. Don't go anywhere near this company.

Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten