We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Martin Car Rental

Pittsburgh...
2 posts
Save Topic
St. Martin Car Rental

We have a car reserved through Payless Car Rental on SXM in August. Was wondering if they have a new (or newer) fleet of cars? We've rented from other places in the past and some of the cars are substandard. Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

Personally, I would not want to rent a new car. Too many chances to get scratched or dented which you will have to pay for. We always rent a "used and scratched" car and not have to worry!

The Garden State
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

I have been renting from Payless for years. I have been happy with the prices, the cars and the service. If you sign up for a Payless Perks Card you get an extra 5% off.

Hastings, mn
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

RENT A WRECK-DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I booked a car with them last October to use this past Mar 16-13rd, 2013. I had to cancel, which I did and they emailed the same day saying that the credit of 181.60 was issued to my account. As of today it still has not been issued. I now have my credit card company involved, since they have not answered my emails and their long distance line to St Marten, the mailbox is full, which has been full for weeks! I tried to contact their Corporate office here in the States and they were unable to help me. Very fustrating, many other car rental locations to use in St Marten, such as Brinks.

Mentioned in this post
Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

I have never had to prepay with a card for reservations. I just give my credit card to the company when I pick up the car. Never a problem with that. I use Hertz in SXM.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

Hertz will ask you 900$ for deposit. Budget are more professional.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

It's not a deposit but just an imprint on your card. No money transfers with that. I don't have a problem with any rental company that does that and I believe most companies do it.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

You have plenty choice for rental car companies in SXM especially at the airport. Personnaly, I tried most of them, and my best experience was at BUDGET.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

I will advise you to avoid small car rental companies with no reputation

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

Leisure Car Rental is FANTASTIC! We reserved online in advance and they met us at the airport with our name on a board and with the car, ready to go.

For aprox $450 we rented a medium size car with full insurance and $0 deductible for the entire week in St. Maarten! The car was brand new, with only 2,800 miles on it.

When we asked about how to return the car, they told us they would meet us at the airport prior to our flight which sounded sketchy but to our amazement, when we arrived at the airport there they were waiting for us at the time we specified! The rental could not have been easier!

We were very worried about rental a car in St. Maarten after everything we read on Trip Advisor and decided on Leisure after doing a lot of homework on different rental companies.

Book with Leisure and ask for Jessica. You will not be disappointed. It will be one less worry on your vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Martin Car Rental

Just returned from St. Martin. We rented a mid-size Nissan 4-door from Budget. Prices were reasonable ($24/day) and we had absolutely no hassles or issues with them.

After reading the TripAdvisor threads, we were quite worried about scams and overcharges and other mischief. We took several photos of the vehicle before we signed the rental agreement and documented every single scratch and ding. The guy helping us said "Don't worry, we aren't like that," so I figure he'd gotten more than one hyper-wary tourist like us.

When we dropped off the car, there was no hassle at all. They did a quick inspection, said everything was fine (and, it was--we had treated the car well). And we were on our way to the airport in the complimentary shuttle.

Francine, at the front desk, was kind, helpful, and a pleasure to deal with.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten